Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2016, 07:33 PM   #1
bif24701
Registered Member

Classify/Rate my clown fish

I bought this fish from a friend a while back, I lost it's partner and would like to replace him/her. How would you classify and rate this clown? Seriously please. Thank you

This guy was incredibly hard to take a picture of like this lol.

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2016, 07:44 PM   #2
Doge
Registered Member

Extreme grade picasso

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon
Doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2016, 08:08 PM   #3
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Extreme grade picasso

"Extreme grade"? As in good I'm assuming. So I would look for something like that for the other?

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 08/21/2016, 08:39 PM   #4
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

you have an Amphiprion Percula clownfish, picasso type. Hence, you can pair it with any true percula clown... meaning another picasso, platinum, onyx, regular true percula or even snow onyx clownfish which is a hybrid of snowflake (Ocellaris) and Onyx (Percula).
As to you grading question, I avoid the term extreme picasso. To me they are either Premium Picasso like yours or Semi-Picasso with more orange. You could technically call a platinum clown (all white) an extreme picasso because its genes came from picasso clowns. Hence, I do not favor the term. That said, not all Premium picasso clown are created equal. Some are more white than others, and have "cap" on like yours. Others either have normal head and face or have a "helmet look".
This is somewhat recent addition to Designer clowns. They are called Nebula clownfish
http://www.liveaquaria.com/DiversDen...+3&ddid=320783

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 08/21/2016 at 08:45 PM.
CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2016, 08:51 PM   #5
davocean
Registered Member

Yeah it's so hard to follow and stay on top of all these, but yes, premium, or A grade onyx picasso.
It's an extremely nice picasso, and I say that not only for it's color but it's shape, no underbite or abnormalities from what I can see in pics.
It's really nice.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2016, 09:18 PM   #6
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
you have an Amphiprion Percula clownfish, picasso type. Hence, you can pair it with any true percula clown... meaning another picasso, platinum, onyx, regular true percula or even snow onyx clownfish which is a hybrid of snowflake (Ocellaris) and Onyx (Percula).
As to you grading question, I avoid the term extreme picasso. To me they are either Premium Picasso like yours or Semi-Picasso with more orange. You could technically call a platinum clown (all white) an extreme picasso because its genes came from picasso clowns. Hence, I do not favor the term. That said, not all Premium picasso clown are created equal. Some are more white than others, and have "cap" on like yours. Others either have normal head and face or have a "helmet look".
This is somewhat recent addition to Designer clowns. They are called Nebula clownfish
http://www.liveaquaria.com/DiversDen...+3&ddid=320783

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! I notice the helmet now, that is cool. I like that it's unique in a way. The mate didn't look anything like this one as in "morph" though it was a true percula of some kind. Now I wish I had take at least one picture. I've moved tanks/homes and the mate was lost in that processed. Jumped. Does it matter the type or grade when choosing a pair for breeding then? I may never do that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Yeah it's so hard to follow and stay on top of all these, but yes, premium, or A grade onyx picasso.
It's an extremely nice picasso, and I say that not only for it's color but it's shape, no underbite or abnormalities from what I can see in pics.
It's really nice.

Really? Thank you. He said it was a nice fish, but I haven't bought a clown fish in over 8 years I had no idea. I sure would like to find a mate worthy, where is a good place to look for something like this? I had a really hard time comparing my fish on the googles, that's why I posted here.

Thanks for the complements, my buddy wanted to be sure that he found a good home after he tore down his 300. I hope he lives a long time in my 180.

Question #2, will a GBTA host this guy? I bought a BTA for my sons tank but didn't seem well there. So moved it to my display and seems better. Will the GBTA host my clown?

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 08/21/2016, 10:01 PM   #7
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

If you find a helmet picasso of good quality then you should definitely go that route. I really like the breeding pair of Picasso clowns from the thread below. Yours is up there too.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2546189

IME Percula clowns are less picky than Ocellaris when it comes to unnatural host. I actually have an interesting thread about that.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2567064

Finally, this was my pair last year. The female was a picasso clown and the male was wild caught Onyx. I lost the male and re-homed the female. She went to a member here on RC.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 08/21/2016 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added more info and video
CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 12:56 AM   #8
bif24701
Registered Member

Would I need a stand alone system for breeding or could I plumb in a 45 rimless I have? Obviously if I plan to breed I'll need a lot more reading, lol.

You know I've always wanted a BTA/clown display. I'm sure that I could plumb straight from my system.

This is my RBTAs I had years ago, they where great. People loved seeing them and couldn't believe they where real. They hosted a single maroon clown
https://youtu.be/B7w-hrJtOYM

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 09/20/2016, 08:18 PM   #9
bif24701
Registered Member

I added a GBTA but he doesn't seem interested in it what so ever. What is the best way to introduce him to it?

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 09/23/2016, 03:39 PM   #10
QuitClowning
Registered Member

It takes time. Clownfish may go to it immediately or for some it may take months.

As for breeding you can have then spawn in the tank but once the eggs hatch is where issues. The clownfish fry would not survive due to a lack of food source (they feed best off of rotifers). The fry will either get eaten up by the parents, eaten by your other fish, or die of starvation 2-3 days later.

QuitClowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2016, 10:02 PM   #11
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitClowning View Post
It takes time. Clownfish may go to it immediately or for some it may take months.

As for breeding you can have then spawn in the tank but once the eggs hatch is where issues. The clownfish fry would not survive due to a lack of food source (they feed best off of rotifers). The fry will either get eaten up by the parents, eaten by your other fish, or die of starvation 2-3 days later.

That's right, I'll have to culture my own to feed them. Well I may look into that some day. Thank you!

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge