Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2016, 10:54 AM   #1
nanomania
Registered Member

Indian peppermint shrimps?

Hey guys, im from india, and these are sold as indian peppermint shrimps... will they harm corals? Are they true peppermints???

JUNGLES AND OCEANS RULE.....
nanomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2016, 02:51 AM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

They look like Peppermint Shrimp.

Lysmata wurdemanni, the peppermint shrimp that eats Aptasia is from Florida and South Carolina and likely also from the Caribbean.
There are many similar peppermint shrimp species that are hard to tell apart, but not all will eat Aptasia (that's where the mixed reviews come from). If all are reef safe is also hard to say and also a bit open to interpretation and based on what one defines as reef safe.
I had mine (who are the Aptasia eating kind) also stealing food out of LPS corals and anemones, but they didn't harass SPS corals.

Are those from India are reef safe? I wouldn't know. I guess the only way to tell is to try them out.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2016, 10:38 PM   #3
nanomania
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
They look like Peppermint Shrimp.

Lysmata wurdemanni, the peppermint shrimp that eats Aptasia is from Florida and South Carolina and likely also from the Caribbean.
There are many similar peppermint shrimp species that are hard to tell apart, but not all will eat Aptasia (that's where the mixed reviews come from). If all are reef safe is also hard to say and also a bit open to interpretation and based on what one defines as reef safe.
I had mine (who are the Aptasia eating kind) also stealing food out of LPS corals and anemones, but they didn't harass SPS corals.

Are those from India are reef safe? I wouldn't know. I guess the only way to tell is to try them out.
Currently i jus gave gsp and paly, but will br adding leathers and lps too. iv heard many saying that they do irritate lps, so im in a dilemma.

JUNGLES AND OCEANS RULE.....
nanomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2016, 08:17 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

They will likely steal the food out of LPS.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 01:43 AM   #5
Jeff4777
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomania View Post
Currently i jus gave gsp and paly, but will br adding leathers and lps too. iv heard many saying that they do irritate lps, so im in a dilemma.
I'm done with shrimp in reef tanks. It would get me livid to see a shrimp pulling food out of an anemone or open brain. Now I have a hawkfish

Jeff4777 is offline   Reply With Quote