$7.99 Yamaha PF-50 find

xXSHADoW93Xx

Figured, for $7.99 at Unique, it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

XPK63mr.jpg

EFQqmig.jpg

It actually had a Yamaha MC-21 MC cartridge, but the stylus was broken

VyDkc3z.jpg

For now, using my Pickering V-15 cartridge on it:
et43dW3.jpg

fKATzqD.jpg

fhEjYuj.jpg

2qEgepT.jpg

Only thing its missing is the tonearm rest, and the original record weight / 45rpm adapter, but here's a video demo:

I'm not sure if it's supposed to auto-return after the record finishes playing, as it doesn't auto return until I toggle the "CUT" lever, but both "PLAY" and "CUT" work fine.

As for the MC cartridge (which I mothballed until I can get it repaired):

bgKksFT.jpg

dgsdka4.jpg

73ZoyBz.jpg

C3lzB2x.jpg

yujscOA.jpg

zx2oEgP.jpg

fo8zWCi.jpg

3aNfrWI.jpg

Anyone have any cart suggestions? Or am I fine with the Pickering V-15 it currently has?

The output is only as good as the source. There are many good MM carts out there, and prices on replacement styli are absolutely nuts. It is not that they don't improve the sound on many carts, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! And if it costs more than the whole pig it doesn't make sense. No offence Mr. Pig. Find the best sounding cart for your system and spend a bit more money and enjoy it.

I had to search to find proof that was a real Moving Coil cartridge. When I first saw it I suspected it might be this common Ceramic one. :)

New-Vinyl-Phono-Turntable-Stereo-Ceramic-Cartridge-w-stylus-for-phonograph-Record-Playerest-Wholesale.jpg_640x640.jpg

Hello, I just bought a Yamaha YP-211 with an MC-21 cartridge that also is lacking its cantilever. Did you have any luck getting yours fixed?

Would help if you listed where your from. There are several cartridge repair men through out the world that come highly recommended.

BillWojo

Ah, thanks. I'm in NYC. Any repair folks here? :) But honestly I suspect if I have to repair the cartridge, and can't just plug in a new needle, this will be out of my price range. Thanks in advance for any input you have though, cheers.

VAS Audio in central NJ is one of the best. An email to Steve might get you an idea of what it will cost.
No affiliation, just a happy customer.

BillWojo

Back
Top Bottom