Everyone will need to get a new cedula in 2024?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Nueva-Cedula-de-Identidad-Diario-Libre-1024x639.png

The Central Electoral Board (JCE) has proposed to political parties the issuing of a new ID for the Dominican Republic.

The renewal of the identity and electoral card would begin in October 2024 and conclude in October 2025. The new document would contain a chip and enhanced security measures.

The Central Electoral Board (JCE) is engaged in preparing the tender to be held on 15 January 2024. The tender timeline establishes the contract with technology supplier would be signed in April 2024.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre

4 January 2024

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hopefully implemented gradually as the old ones expire.
From the OP: The renewal of the identity and electoral card would begin in October 2024 and conclude in October 2025.

One year seems long enough, even here.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Does that mean we must go to SD ? What a nightmare for everyone, except the Bus operators, the Hotel owners and gasoline stations

Reactions: drstock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does that mean we must go to SD ? What a nightmare for everyone, except the Bus operators, the Hotel owners and gasoline stations
Cedulas for legal residents are issued only in Santo Domingo unless something changed.

Cedulas for citizens are issued at various JCE offices around the country. The closest to me is in Sosua.
I would certainly hope citizens cedulas will be produced there.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
From the OP: The renewal of the identity and electoral card would begin in October 2024 and conclude in October 2025.

One year seems long enough, even here.
And here's the new one, supposedly:

expedicion-de-nueva-cedula-se-iniciara-el-26-de-octubre-de-2024-focus-0-0-896-504.jpg

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
All part of tracking where and what you do - maybe they will make you scan it to prove you are worthy of entering DR
If it let's you pass immigration lines I say OK.
But this would be faster ( if they actually do it) than the Cangrejo Bridge was replaced.
Maybe Paraguay and Bolivia are the last free Latin American countries ?

Reactions: HDR and NanSanPedro

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
When I got my so-called Permanent Residency, the cedula for which lasts until 2026, I thought I would be spared the trip to the capital for a few years. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok and CristoRey

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
All part of tracking where and what you do - maybe they will make you scan it to prove you are worthy of entering DR
If it let's you pass immigration lines I say OK.
But this would be faster ( if they actually do it) than the Cangrejo Bridge was replaced.
Maybe Paraguay and Bolivia are the last free Latin American countries ?

It will be interesting to see what happens in Argentina with Milei. My cedula expires 2032 so... well we will see. The hazzle of going to the Capital is a pain in the a**

• Love
Reactions: CristoRey

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
That's a good point but how are we defining fake? My son's brother has one that passes all the online tests. He's had it for 10 - 12 years.
But is he in "the system" ? - you must join "the real club".
But as Groucho Marx said: "I would not belong to any club that would have me as a member"

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I can’t help but think about the people with fake cedulas……. Chips change the game I’d suppose.
That's probably the reason for the change.

This was 6 years ago when Santiago's mayor presented a bunch of fake cédulas that were confiscated as their ID number was either a duplicate or belong to a dead person. The zombies are real. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Peterj

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's a good point but how are we defining fake? My son's brother has one that passes all the online tests. He's had it for 10 - 12 years.
That could be a clue. Cédulas have an expiration date and never lasts up to a decade (unless that is he had a cédula for that long and not necessarily the same one.) With renewal you basically get a new cédula, they don't simply change the photo of the old one.