Removing Speed Limiter from E-Moto Bikes (CE:G3M20211...)

lucky777

1 µW
I just bought an E-Moto Velocity 2.5. It seems awfully slow for what it's running (a 250w 8Fun motor, 350w peak), and a 36v 9ah lithium battery (actually reads almost 40v when checked with a voltmeter). I think there's something limiting the speed. Here's a picture of the controller, anyone have any experience with it and how to remove the speed limit? Seems to be topping out at about 15mph. The controller is a "CE:G3M20211-1592-16".

d21fssa.jpg

Thanks!

According to ads found in a quick google search for that bike:

Motor assist tops out at a safe speed of 15 mph and also instantly cuts power to the motor once you stop pedaling, keeping you in control
so it's controller-limited to 15MPH.

There could be pads inside the controller that are soldered or wired together, that might allow faster speeds if that was cut, but you'd have to post clear sharp closeups of each side of the PCB inside, so people can help you guess what might be the limiter.

Sometimes the limiter wires are external, like a loopback of a single wire coming out of the controller, plugging into another single wire, then going back into the controller.

It could also be in the firmware of teh controller MCU, in which case there may be no way to change it without changing the controller out.

Someone else on ES may also have already done this work, if you poke around the forums (I have not checked).

Please note that if the motor is only a 250W (continuous) motor, it may not be capable of faster operation without overheating, unless you are pedalling hard with it to help it out; you can play with the simulator at ebikes.ca with various motors and controllers to see how this might work out for you (I don't know if your motor is listed there or not).

amberwolf said:
According to ads found in a quick google search for that bike:

Motor assist tops out at a safe speed of 15 mph and also instantly cuts power to the motor once you stop pedaling, keeping you in control
so it's controller-limited to 15MPH.

There could be pads inside the controller that are soldered or wired together, that might allow faster speeds if that was cut, but you'd have to post clear sharp closeups of each side of the PCB inside, so people can help you guess what might be the limiter.

Sometimes the limiter wires are external, like a loopback of a single wire coming out of the controller, plugging into another single wire, then going back into the controller.

It could also be in the firmware of teh controller MCU, in which case there may be no way to change it without changing the controller out.

Someone else on ES may also have already done this work, if you poke around the forums (I have not checked).

Please note that if the motor is only a 250W (continuous) motor, it may not be capable of faster operation without overheating, unless you are pedalling hard with it to help it out; you can play with the simulator at ebikes.ca with various motors and controllers to see how this might work out for you (I don't know if your motor is listed there or not).

Thanks for the explanation. Just 1 question, though. How does the controller know how fast I'm going? It seems this thing has no problems climbing steep hills, but it somehow senses 15mph and then cuts out. There's no magnets on the spokes from what I can tell, so how is it getting the speed?

lucky777 said:
Thanks for the explanation. Just 1 question, though. How does the controller know how fast I'm going? It seems this thing has no problems climbing steep hills, but it somehow senses 15mph and then cuts out. There's no magnets on the spokes from what I can tell, so how is it getting the speed?
There are magnets in the motor, though, and sensors in it so it knows "where" it is in it's rotation, so the controller can do it's job. ;) Some controllers also use those to monitor speed.

Unfortunatley that usually means there's no way to modify that signal so that it thinks you're going a different speed than you really are, without messing up the motor's operation.

But there are *some* systems that are "sensorless" controllers, and the motor only has one sensor in it, a speed sensor just for the controller to know what speed you're going, either to limit it or to just display that speed, etc.

My Fusin "1000W" kit is like that, and it'll work even without that sensor connected, IIRC (it just won't display any speed or mileage data).

If yours is like that, and you could find the sensor wire, you could disconnect it and see what happens. It's probably three thin wires from the motor, by themselves in a cable, where the main motor wires would be three thick wires in a cable. If instead you have three thick and *five* thin, it's a regular sensored motor, and it won't work to disconnect it to fool the controller. :(

So your options would be to replace the controller, or to see if there are wire loops or jumpers, etc., as noted previously.

Ich habe gerade ein E-Moto Velocity 2.5 gekauft. Es scheint schrecklich langsam zu sein für das, was es läuft (ein 250-W-8Fun-Motor, 350-W-Spitze) und eine 36-V-9-Ah-Lithiumbatterie (zeigt tatsächlich fast 40 V an, wenn sie mit einem Voltmeter überprüft wird). Ich denke, es gibt etwas, das die Geschwindigkeit einschränkt. Hier ist ein Bild des Controllers, hat jemand Erfahrung damit und wie kann man die Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung aufheben? Scheint bei etwa 15 Meilen pro Stunde seinen Höhepunkt zu erreichen. Der Controller ist ein "CE:G3M20211-1592-16".

d21fssa.jpg

Danke!

Ich habe gerade ein E-Moto Velocity 2.5 gekauft. Es scheint schrecklich langsam zu sein für das, was es läuft (ein 250-W-8Fun-Motor, 350-W-Spitze) und eine 36-V-9-Ah-Lithiumbatterie (zeigt tatsächlich fast 40 V an, wenn sie mit einem Voltmeter überprüft wird). Ich denke, es gibt etwas, das die Geschwindigkeit einschränkt. Hier ist ein Bild des Controllers, hat jemand Erfahrung damit und wie kann man die Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung aufheben? Scheint bei etwa 15 Meilen pro Stunde seinen Höhepunkt zu erreichen. Der Controller ist ein "CE:G3M20211-1592-16".

d21fssa.jpg

Danke!

Erhalten

d21fssa.jpg

Danke!

Back