Twig Catfish! (Farlowella Acus)

Lennie

After keeping red lizard whiptails, I started to like whiptails even more.  I find their look and character very interesting.

So I want to try new species from the whiptails. Watched care and breeding guides. Also talked to a friend who keeps and bred them. I would like to learn more.

My friend bred them in tap water and said hers aren't picky when it comes to food and water parameters, even for breeding. I wonder what's everyones experience is like

Please share any experience and any tips you have🤗

image.png.3fa6e3ebf1913d26bd50e8f61943f907.png

P.S: I remember you mentioning your farlowellas back in the days so wanted to tag you! @Biotope Biologist

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Mine were easy going. They didn’t take to algae wafers which I think is a similar experience amongst twig cat owners. But they were greedy frozen food eaters! 

If I remember correctly they even ate live blackworms, but they also ate fresh blanched veggies. 

They were shy at first but then after a few months started being a bit more active. 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 6:22 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Mine were easy going. They didn’t take to algae wafers which I think is a similar experience amongst twig cat owners. But they were greedy frozen food eaters! 

If I remember correctly they even ate live blackworms, but they also ate fresh blanched veggies. 

They were shy at first but then after a few months started being a bit more active. 

Thanks 🤗

I'm considering to keep them as only fish in their tank, at least until they safely complete 1month. With one baby mystery snail (to clean up uneaten food, share similar diet, and free infusoria for them to snack on thanks to their poop?) and a few neocaridinas. Lots of leaf litter, sand bottom, planted with branches. Luckily my friend said this batch is eating spirulina tabs, hope they continue to do so at my place. I setup the tank today but added a very established filter. I also added shrimp powder for biofilm.

One of the things that confuse me is the flow. I know they like high oxygen content, but do they like flow? I see conflicting info on this. Some say they like flow. Some say they like stagnant and calm water.

Is branches/plants/leaf litter enough to have? They don't seem to use tubes or caves like plecos/red lizards, am I right? They even lay on the glass from what I've seen.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 8:50 AM, Lennie said:

One of the things that confuse me is the flow. I know they like high oxygen content, but do they like flow? I see conflicting info on this. Some say they like flow. Some say they like stagnant and calm water.

Is branches/plants/leaf litter enough to have? They don't seem to use tubes or caves like plecos/red lizards, am I right? They even lay on the glass from what I've seen.

As far as flow goes I noticed they did like hanging out on plants sometimes near the flow from an HOB filter. But I don’t think they like strong currents or anything of that nature. In their native habitat they seem to prefer small creeks or pools with heavy vegetation and overhanging plants.

Mine almost exclusively hung out on plants or pieces of wood during the day. Then slept in the corners of the aquarium glass. They seem to like sleeping in shallow crevices where escape is possible. If that makes sense. I think as a camouflage species they feel safer being out in the open where they can mimic their surroundings.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1