Favia/Favites Help.... Are they Dying? Pic included.

Hello all. I bought an established (2+yrs) Aquapod 24 about 3 months ago and i've been on a learning quest ever since. I've put hundreds of dollars of corals in it and now i'm trying to get the to grow as quickly as possible. I run the stock PC lights which combine to 64w. All of my other corals are showing signs of slow growth (Frogspawn, Torch, Mushrooms...etc.) except for my favites and duncans. The duncan heads have gotten larger but they have not started to grow any new heads and I believe my favites are dying.
I purchased a maroon favites from SWF about a month ago and I just got another little frag of a blue favia from my LFS for cheap. The new one is looking okay. It's "Swollen" up and actually looks like it's alive but I never see any tenticles to feed it.
The maroon favites looks horrible. It doesn't have any flesh on it and the edges are dark. It still has color but it is pretty faded. It's also very slimy to the touch. I feed them both "Wild Toe" coral food 2x a week with the pumps off at night. I have them in the bottom of my tank in the sand bed. I have yet to see any tenticles on them. This has me worried. I wish they would grow so I could get a nice big favites like I see in pics. Can someone help?

swfishy

Administrator
Staff member
This is a filter feeding coral. Add fine foods to the tank from time to time to ensure that your Favia receives enough sustenance. Note that most of the feeding will occur at night (although it will feed during the day as well but more so when the lights are off).
You may want to move these frags a little closer to the light. Generally these require higher lighting.
Put up a new photo after adjusting the placement for us to review again.

I moved them up a little last night. I also squirted some wild toe and brine on them and all of my corals last night. I will take pics when I get home later. The blue one actually glows at night but the maroon one doesn't have much color under the blue led's.