Cichlasoma (Vieja) synspilum (Redhead Cichlid) Question

Mystus Redtail

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Fishing in Wisconsin
Hi, I'm just starting to get more into SA/CA Cichlids and I'm curious about the Redhead Cichlid. What experience do you have with them? Would you recommend them? The LFS can get some in for cheap and I wanted to do some research before ordering. I hit up the search here and read some great info posted by Oddball concerning the basic facts, always great info, I might add. Anyone else have any hands on experience, or stories?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Malcs

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Personalitywise they're typical Vieja...only mildly aggressive towards non-Vieja species but very aggressive conspecifically. Be careful, these guys very easily crossbreed with other cichlids. Males max out about 16" and females about 12". Be sure to feed plenty of veggies in their diet.

misplacedsooner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2007
usa
I grew this pair out from 1 1/2 in. i didnt find any real aggression with them except they didnt like a gold saum i had with them once.

mike

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Mystus Redtail;1393561; said:
Wow, they're pretty good looking. Thanks for the pics, does the male have the hump on his head?

It's quite common for male Synspilliums to get a large nuchal hump.

overstocked

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2007
USA
jesus man! what are these damn animals?

misplacedsooner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2007
usa
my male was starting to get a hump but he was only about 10 inches

not the best of pics sorry but you can get the idea. for the poster above..they are vieja synspilum, also known as redheaded or quetzel cichlids.
mike

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
A lot of the males will develop a nauchal hump with age.This guy is about 13" and is tolerant of smaller fish but not fish his own size anymore..He is washed out a bit now with colors as he is getting older but definately a character.They usually do all right in communities and definately add color.:)

DSCF2786.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store