Diamond Piranha

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
Help,

at my lfs and they have a "diamond piranha" but they don't have the scientific name(owner and manager is away). I think it is a rhom, but I want to make sure.

Does anyone know what a diamond piranha is?

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
it's a variant of Serra. Rhombeus, basically it's same special but just with different appearance, diamond rhom has more shinny scales hence the name diamond rhom.

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
So, i got it. it has purple diamonds, not white. does this make it any more desirable or rare?

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
Here it is. Generally its alot more purple. But since I have had it at home it does nothing but hide. It its current position the light is barely on it.
IMG_20150715_182338_hdr.jpg

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
Definitely a S. rhom.

Be patient with it. Piranhas in general, and Serrasalmus sp. especially, aren't very out going. It may take some time for it to come out of its shell.

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
I have read the nutrition thread, but what does everyone recommend feeding a P at first. I would like to get it on pellets, but for the transition in his new home would I be better of with some tilapia fillets

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
under different light/angle the fish will have a different hue, I have see anything from a little bit of green speckles, silver speckles to full on blue/purple from the same fish, it doesn't really make the fish more rare but to the potential buyer it may sound more attractive thus can possibly sold for more money.

I personally don't like to feed them pellets, a natural food diet is a better option IMO. feed them fish, smelt, shrimp, etc. mix things up, don't always feed filet only, you would want to mix up with small whole fish (smelt, silverside, etc) to balance out the nutrients.
if you do decide to feed pellets, or add pellets into the food (by stuff it into fish or shrimp, etc) make sure you don't over feed.

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
I have had my Rhom for 10 day now and it still hasnt ate. Are there any tricks to get it to eat. I have tried market shrimp, tilapia fillets and massiveore(I didnt think this would have worked, but its worth a try).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store