Distichodus Fasciolatus

Fish-FAQs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Eureka
fishflats.blogspot.com
Does anyone have experience keeping these?

Aside from their size, do they have any special requirements or dietary needs I should know about, especially when they are small/young?

I recently bought a very small distichodus sexfasciatus that was unfortunately carrying intestinal parasites. He died four days after I purchased him :(.

So I have decided to order a cousin of sex., the shark-tailed distichodus. I have read that they do not grow as large as the six-barred distichodus, and tend to be somewhat less aggressive.

I plan on placing the D. Fasciolatus in a heavily planted 90 gallon tank, probably alone or with some small shoaling fish (maybe harlequin rasporas if he won't harass them).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
Do you have pics? I've never heard of fasciolatus.

If it's anything like sexf, lussoso, or affinis, though, your plants will be gone in short order.

Samlamanna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Distichodus Fasciolatus is said to be able to be kept with peaceful fish. Rainbows, large tetra etc. As far as plants some may survive but even tough ones may go, I read anubias is one to try. It doesn't exceed 23 inches in the wild but I don't know how well they stunt down in captivity. Typical omnivorous diet should abply , fresh greens here and there is a good thing to do. Ph tolerant from pretty acidic on up to 8.0 or so. Good luck, I would like to here how it turns out I may be interested in one. What size tank?

Fish-FAQs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Eureka
fishflats.blogspot.com
Going into a 90 gallon acrylic. Will upgrade as necessary. I plan on using river sand with Extra-Large Onion plants, Anubias, Crypts, and a few others I have yet to figure out. In fact, I plan on setting up the tank tomorrow. I have a ready supply of cycled water on hand.

For tankmates, I will have a purple spot goby, reed fish, flying fox, and a pink tail chalceus (might get a few more down the line).

Already ordered the fish. Should get here in a week or two if the distributor has one in stock. Can't wait!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store