Temperament between Parachromis loisellei vs Cuban cichlid

Predator07

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Orlando,FL
Could someone describe between the two cichlids there temperament and which would you say is the "more" aggressive one ??

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Could someone describe between the two cichlids there temperament and which would you say is the "more" aggressive one ??
Both species are going to be very aggressive when spawning. I have only kept the Nandopsis Tetracanthus out of the two species you listed. They would constantly flare at me through the glass when near the tank and when cleaning the tank they would constantly attack my hand drawing blood. When I parted with my pair my male was around 7inches and female around 4 inches. They are now with a good friend producing fry at a wholesale facility.
04AD4DAD-9BC1-49A2-B390-94DFD6A4C655.jpeg
Male above, female below
9B6AF624-96C8-4003-A3A8-639BFA697832.jpeg

If you are planning to keep a singular of either species either alone or In a community I’d go with the P. Losellei they seem to for the most part be more well tempered. However each fish has its own personality and don’t all conform to the “normal” I will however say, When I kept N. Tetracanthus with other species of cichlid they did not seem to thrive. I put this down to the fact that In their natural habitat they don’t have any other cichlids to compete with.

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Gotcha. What about juvenile Cuban cichlid with other juvenile cichlids in alarge tank?
I tried to raise a group of cuban juveniles up with a group of P. Multifasciatus (formally P. Friedrichsthalii) and found the Multifasciatus were out competing and stressing the Cubans so I separated them. That is my personal experience at least. If I was to raise more Nandopsis I would do it with no other cichlid species in the same tank

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Gotcha. What about juvenile Cuban cichlid with other juvenile cichlids in alarge tank?
I kept a Cuban cichlid in a 6' tank with other larger cichlids years back. It did not start any problems and was a pretty good community inhabitant as I remember. There was also a loisellei in the tank. The problems I had were with amphilophus and Viejas more than these guys. The Cuban also grew slowly so it was smaller than some of the other fish in the tank. It was about 8" or so by the time I broke the tank down.
Now this is only anecdotal evidence, and each fish is different. Your success will depend greatly on the size tank, types of tankmates you try, and individual fish behaviors. What size tank do you have and what are planned tankmates?

Reactions: Predator07

Predator07

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Orlando,FL
I kept a Cuban cichlid in a 6' tank with other larger cichlids years back. It did not start any problems and was a pretty good community inhabitant as I remember. There was also a loisellei in the tank. The problems I had were with amphilophus and Viejas more than these guys. The Cuban also grew slowly so it was smaller than some of the other fish in the tank. It was about 8" or so by the time I broke the tank down.
Now this is only anecdotal evidence, and each fish is different. Your success will depend greatly on the size tank, types of tankmates you try, and individual fish behaviors. What size tank do you have and what are planned tankmates?

I have juvenile parachromis loisellei, breidohri, argentea, bocourti at the moment... possibly planning on add smaller Cuban cichlid.. Still debating ??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store