Today in the Fishroom ~ Parachromis managuensis "Gold"

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
I have six of these beautiful fish that I received from Segrest Farms. I've slowly been moving them out and around separating fish into other tanks that were obviously being used as a punching bag for the largest male (@10"). I have it down now to the large male here and a female by themselves in a 180 gallon tank along with some target fish (Metynsis). Ever the ambush predator, the male is difficult to catch out in the open, preferring to hide in the plants and pots I've set up. I had to put the camera on a tripod with a remote, than sit back out of site with the trigger to get the photos. Not the best shots, but shows some of the detail. MED_7713.jpg
MED_7711.jpg
MED_7715.jpg
MED_7707.jpg MED_7707.jpg The really good news is that I think I finally have them weeded down to a pair. The female has been hold up on the far right of the tank and apparently....from what I can deduce...setting up a breeding area. Fingers crossed. I'd love to grow some of these out.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Sorry if this has been covered before, but are these a naturally occurring colour morph or line bred?

Reactions: Vukmir13

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
I could be wrong and someone correct me if I'm wrong, however I'm almost positive they are a naturally occurring color morph. I had one that somehow managed to jump out of a covered tank in the middle of the night, still have no idea how he did it. Seriously awesome fish!

Reactions: dan518

The Mother Confessor

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2017
UK
Wow, these are seriously beautiful. I want one!

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I could be wrong and someone correct me if I'm wrong, however I'm almost positive they are a naturally occurring color morph. I had one that somehow managed to jump out of a covered tank in the middle of the night, still have no idea how he did it. Seriously awesome fish!
It is. They call it "one in a million". Mo gave the whole back story in another thread but I can't remember which one

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Sorry if this has been covered before, but are these a naturally occurring colour morph or line bred?
I think there's a lot of confusion between the Gold and Xanthic colourations. From what I've heard, the gold are line bred and the Xanthic are a naturally occurring colour morph. They're also a lot harder to come by.

Never the less, some great pictures of some beautiful fish once again Aquamojo Aquamojo .

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
There is a thread on here somewhere that breaks it down into further detail. Nonetheless, gold, color change or not, they're fascinating fish that just commands respect and coincidentally has some cool duds on

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store