Vieja melanura and synspilum types

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
So this whole synspilum and melanura topic has been driving me a little crazy. I know there is definitely differences in the two especially depending on the catch location. So here's my question, with the picture I provide, would you consider these synspilum a typical red head synspilum or do you think this is a red head synspilum from belize like rio sarstun. I am mainly wondering because I'd love to find a group of synspilum like this one. I have some juvies from rapps but am unsure if they will turn out like this particular synspilum. The melanura definitley have more orange and don't seem to get the same head profile as the red head synspilum. I'm basically collecting synspilum from multiple suppliers to see if I can end up with this specific type of synspilum that's in the pictures. Lee Nuttals synspilum is ideally what I'd like to have one day, his are Rio sarstun but I can't seem to find anyone with these specific type of synspilum. If anyone knows where I could find this specific type of synspilum please share. Thanks so much. And if anyone has any synspilum they have gotten from rapps please share as well

DSC_4588l-1.jpg

Screenshot_20170123-101619.png

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I don't know about catch location, but those pics look like the typical "Belize" Synspilum I've kept. I have one now from Dan at CoA. I'd bet if you got a bunch from him, a couple would turn out with the shape and head profile you like. They grow fast.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
I believe, based on the most resent DNA test that synspilum has been reclassified as melanura. Obviously there are color differences and that is coming down to different color morphs and catch locations. This is why having catch locations is so much more important now than ever and if you are planning on getting them from multiple sources/catch locations I'd recommend keeping track of which ones are which.

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I believe, based on the most resent DNA test that synspilum has been reclassified as melanura. Obviously there are color differences and that is coming down to different color morphs and catch locations. This is why having catch locations is so much more important now than ever and if you are planning on getting them from multiple sources/catch locations I'd recommend keeping track of which ones are which.
That's exactly what I'm doing. And I for my own personal preference like to just classify the red heads as synspilum, as does rapps, and the others that are more orange and blue as melanura. The Lago peten melanura are completely different fish then the belize red heads. I can tell the differences in the red heads I got from rapps and my lago peten that I also got from rapps. Completely different looking fish. I'll be able to tell them apart from the ones I get from Imperial Tropicals as well. I'll post a video in the next week of the differences.

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I don't know about catch location, but those pics look like the typical "Belize" Synspilum I've kept. I have one now from Dan at CoA. I'd bet if you got a bunch from him, a couple would turn out with the shape and head profile you like. They grow fast.
Ya I was going to order some belize red heads from Dan at COA but he wanted 98 dollars for overnight shipping which is ridiculous. I got red heads with some other fish from rapps for 55 dollar over night shipping. I'd still like to get the belize red heads from Dan though just to compare the differences in all the fish so I may just have to go with his standard shipping or just suck it up and pay the expensive overnight shipping and have someone order with me. And ya I know these fish grow very fast haha. I've been growing some out since October when they were just under an inch at the time and are now pushing 5 inches.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
That's exactly what I'm doing. And I for my own personal preference like to just classify the red heads as synspilum, as does rapps, and the others that are more orange and blue as melanura. The Lago peten melanura are completely different fish then the belize red heads. I can tell the differences in the red heads I got from rapps and my lago peten that I also got from rapps. Completely different looking fish. I'll be able to tell them apart from the ones I get from Imperial Tropicals as well. I'll post a video in the next week of the differences.
They all are the same fish, just colors are different depending on location.
You could always email COA or TUIC for pics before buying. They will tell you and be able to tell you which has your desired colors.
Personally I rather pay extra for shipping if I'm looking for something specific. Buying random tank raised fish is a gamble. Most places that sell them probably won't know the location of the parents.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Agreed. When you start looking for specific color morphs of a species....when you plan to buy a fish and keep it for a few years....when you want to really know that the fish you have is the species you think it is....when you're hoping to breed a species and keep the spawn for future tanks.....ya gotta buy from CoA or Rapps.

Reactions: isde02 and lunsforj

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Agreed. When you start looking for specific color morphs of a species....when you plan to buy a fish and keep it for a few years....when you want to really know that the fish you have is the species you think it is....when you're hoping to breed a species and keep the spawn for future tanks.....ya gotta buy from CoA or Rapps.
I'm going to order a few belize red heads from Dan at COA and then just grow out all the melanura and synspilum I have for the next few years and see what happens. I just love this species way too much haha

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Here's a
Here's a red head melanura I got from rapps. One of the two. They look identical. Have some high hopes for these ones. All the fish I've gotten from him which is basically all my fish. are all very nice.

IMG_20170123_204310_406.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store