Pod Your Reef

Red Saddled Anthias (Pseudanthias flavoguttatus)

seahorsedreams

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like you're on your own on these. I Googled and came up with basically nothing. Even went to RC and I came up empty over there. Since you purchased these from LA, why not give them a call and see what they have to say? Beautiful fish, BTW. Good Luck with them!

seahorsedreams

A 50g with low lights and set at 74.

Oh heck... they're out. Well 2 of them are anyway. OMG! I am in love.

I'm hoping they may go with a trio of ventralis one day.

Ya, I saw the thread on RC when I was searching around. Not a lot of info out there. But I did read they were shy and finicky eaters.

seahorsedreams

These aren't good pictures but I will get better ones when I finish up my set of shifts. This is a low light tank so I'm going to have to use supplemental lighting to actually get decent ones.

But I'm in love. If you guys see these up for sale, get them. They are just glowing now. These pics were when they first came in, this morning they are SO much brighter.

anthias.jpg

anthias3.jpg

anthias600.jpg

They are eating everything frozen.

You may have more luck searching for tiger queen anthias or lori's anthias. They are essentially a much nicer looking color variant of Pseudanthias lori--pretty timid and peaceful but relatively easy to get eating prepared food. They should get along very well with ventralis, assuming you can get healthy individuals of those (whole nuther topic entirely).

Below is a photo of a male in my 300g.

seahorsedreams

Thanks for the tips. Something I found funny while looking around around for P. Lori info.

I came across this advice. The pictures were clearly of my flavoguttatus and not of photoshopped P.lori. The advice giver sounds so arrogant yet he is also oh so wrong. The differences are very apparent.

Fish ID - Pseudanthias lori "Tiger Queen Anthias" 10/8/03

[and a manipulated image]

Hey there crew, would it be possible for someone there to help me ID these fish.

<easy one mate, its the Tiger Queen Anthias... however the picture is doctored (Photoshop). Do be sure to smack the source for me if you find them. This visage of this fish is naturally beautiful and needs no tweaking ;) >

I've been looking on Fishbase for about two hours now. I was thinking it was some sort of Anthias, like a Lori's Anthias, but these fish have some differences.

<my friend... you are exactly correct. The diff is that the pics on FishBase are of real fish <G>>

I've also looked through about a million different Chromis'. The question arose from a thread on Reef Central, but no one has responded to the original post. They look pretty cool and I would possibly like to buy some, but would like to know what they are first (obviously). Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

<they are not especially hardy for aquaria although not too bad either. If you will keep them, you simply must commit to a spacious aquarium (100 gall +) and resist the common bullies as tankmates (Tangs, Wrasses, Clowns, most damsels, etc). Continue your search here on WWM and abroad with the correct ID. Best, ***>

seahorsedreams
Do be sure to smack the source for me if you find them.

Do we get to smack the source handing out bad information on a wave of arrogance?

Oh, and I can't pick out who the male is. I know who it is not... but it's a toss up between the 2. Probably going to have to wait until they get more comfortable and start showing natural behaviours.

Do we get to smack the source handing out bad information on a wave of arrogance?

Oh, and I can't pick out who the male is. I know who it is not... but it's a toss up between the 2. Probably going to have to wait until they get more comfortable and start showing natural behaviours.

You'll know soon enough, just wait a while.

The differences between the two species are really quite obvious, even in a black and white photo!

I could probably tell lots of funny stories, but shouldn't. I'll just say that the first post of this thread always gives me a good laugh:

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtop...=261&t=5436

Just so you know, I've accumulated 20,000 posts online, but most of them were on one bulletin board and concerned chocolate chip cookies.

You may kiss my ring anyway.

;)

Archived