SaltCritters.com

Green Clove Polyp

Akiowalt

Like the picture, that is my clove polyp when I bought it home. After 3 months, they getting smaller and tiny. Most of the people recommended to provide medium flow and light, and I did. Nothing change.

My 7 gallons tank:

salinity=1.026

pH= 7.9

KH=12

Ca=440

nitrate=0

phosphate=0

light=T5 32 waltz 12,000K

Any suggestion? I try to search information from net, and do what ever I can, however, no good sign........

post-52427-1271774517_thumb.jpg

Like the picture, that is my clove polyp when I bought it home. After 3 months, they getting smaller and tiny. Most of the people recommended to provide medium flow and light, and I did. Nothing change.

My 7 gallons tank:

salinity=1.026

pH= 7.9

KH=12

Ca=440

nitrate=0

phosphate=0

light=T5 32 waltz 12,000K

Any suggestion? I try to search information from net, and do what ever I can, however, no good sign........

Dont feel too bad. My clove polyps are doing the same exact thing.

"Although symbiotic algae called zooxanthellae hosted within them supply most of their nutritional requirements through photosynthesis they do require supplemental feedings. Supplementing their diet with the addition of trace elements, marine snow, phytoplankton, and food for filter feeders will help to insure their continued good health. "

Source: http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp...Code=02-1320-10

"Although symbiotic algae called zooxanthellae hosted within them supply most of their nutritional requirements through photosynthesis they do require supplemental feedings. Supplementing their diet with the addition of trace elements, marine snow, phytoplankton, and food for filter feeders will help to insure their continued good health. "

Source: http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp...Code=02-1320-10

yup, I did it, and no improvement. :o :o :o :o

I've had this happen too. I've also seen these corals thrive and multiply like crazy in a buddy's tank. I think mine were sensitive to a thin layer of diatom or film algae that appeared on their tissue... or I just had too much light. I would put these in a shady spot and see how they do. Also, they don't need much water flow either. Good luck.

One more thing that you could try in a 7g ... check out this article !

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/4/aquarium

If I have a tank this small I would immediately go buy some of that ESV B-ionic salt and do a BIG water change... like 4-5 gallons if you can swing it. Just be sure to match parameters as closely as possible.

I've had this happen too. I've also seen these corals thrive and multiply like crazy in a buddy's tank. I think mine were sensitive to a thin layer of diatom or film algae that appeared on their tissue... or I just had too much light. I would put these in a shady spot and see how they do. Also, they don't need much water flow either. Good luck.

One more thing that you could try in a 7g ... check out this article !

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/4/aquarium

If I have a tank this small I would immediately go buy some of that ESV B-ionic salt and do a BIG water change... like 4-5 gallons if you can swing it. Just be sure to match parameters as closely as possible.

Thanks for the reply. Yes. Same to me, the thin layer of diatom and red slime algae disturb them. I scrub it off gently by finger, they happy and show off again.

I do regular water change every week, mixed with Red Sea Premier salt, my green stripe mush doing very well accept my little green clove polyp.......

It's better to avoid wild caught clove polyps, since the majority of them have crusty stalks that always end up melting away. Try to find aqua cultured cloves without algae on the base of them, most of those tend to grow like weeds.

Yours really look like they're under too much light, they like lower light for the most part. They're really susceptible to salinity changes and tend to not like lower salinity too. I farmed them for years and never had any issues with them dying off if the parameters are in check though.

My LFS can never keep them alive.. i thought they looked cool..but steered clear. Might give them a shot though since my tanks look better than the LFS.

Thanks everyone, after 50% water changed, I notice that red slime algae and diatom disappear in this 2 days. My clove polyp super happy!!!!

Hi everyone, here my latest update, my green clove polyp not really well...

post-52427-1272171723_thumb.jpg

After diatom and red slime algae break out, I try my best to remove them. And I move this buddy to a corner

post-52427-1272171738_thumb.jpg

majano anemones attach them, sponges, coralline growing on the rock.

Here my parameter:

salinity=1.025

pH= 8.1

KH=13

Ca=420

nitrate=5 ( diatom and red slime appear)

phosphate=0

However, my mushes do a great job!!!

post-52427-1272171751_thumb.jpg

Do the right thing, life saving rules. Help me...I don't have any idea to safe my little polyp... :o :o

what flow are they in? Maybe you need to give them more flow. Red slime is cyanobacteria? if so, then your water quality is bad and you need to fix that. Get a protein skimmer and get rid of bad algae and cyano and they will do better.

Supplement with good filter feeder food then use the skimmer to remove exceedent so you don't have more problems. Your tank may be too small to support clove polyp.

Mine grow like weeds in my 20 gallons and I have a few variety like the green, the palm and the golden tips. They all do well but I feed my tank quite a bit with filter feeder food and my nitrates are always to 0 or undetectible. No algae either grow on them. They are very sensitive if they are disturbed and often they will not come out for a few days if disturbed.

Getting smaller means they do not have enough food to support them in your tank. One good food is the Faune Marin Ultra Min F and Ultra Seafan. Also golden pearl of 5 to 50 micron is good, marine snow, oysterfeast and rotifeast are also good food as well as DT life phytoplankton.

From your pictures, they really look weak and the polyps not extended and normal. They do not have the feathery tentacles that is normal for this coral. They usualy look like that when they are just born (new polyp) and then after a week or 2 they expend and the tentacles get really feathery.

What type of food and frequency did you give them? putting food 2 times per week is not going to cut it. They need food in the water each day but they also need clean water without nitrates, so that's a hard thing to acheive and can only be done with a good way to export extra nutriments (micro-algae or skimmer).

Hi everyone, here my latest update, my green clove polyp not really well...

post-52427-1272171723_thumb.jpg

After diatom and red slime algae break out, I try my best to remove them. And I move this buddy to a corner

post-52427-1272171738_thumb.jpg

majano anemones attach them, sponges, coralline growing on the rock.

Here my parameter:

salinity=1.025

pH= 8.1

KH=13

Ca=420

nitrate=5 ( diatom and red slime appear)

phosphate=0

However, my mushes do a great job!!!

post-52427-1272171751_thumb.jpg

Do the right thing, life saving rules. Help me...I don't have any idea to safe my little polyp... :o :o

vaporlockv2

I had some zoas that were getting overgrown with cyano and I went to Walmart and got a very soft toothbrush and lightly scrubbed them. I add again VERY LIGHTLY! This got me through until the cyano went away.

They look like goners. Next time be on the look out for crusty stocks.

I've had a lot of luck in the past with aquacultered cloves.

Update.jpg

They look like goners. Next time be on the look out for crusty stocks.

I've had a lot of luck in the past with aquacultered cloves.

Update.jpg

Yes. Same like my mushroom, I checked through all the rock before I bought it home, they grow like crazy without any problem. :) :)

I had some zoas that were getting overgrown with cyano and I went to Walmart and got a very soft toothbrush and lightly scrubbed them. I add again VERY LIGHTLY! This got me through until the cyano went away.

U mean the algae cause the problem..hmmm...... -_-

Archived