Coral Vue Hydros

Green Star Polyp?

R1sky_Biz

Picked this up at the LFS yesterday and while I think its a "Star Polyp" of some sort. I don't think its a "GSP'. Can anyone confirm?

EC398EA2-12ED-4F71-AEBE-7374650F17AC.jpg

Thanks ahead of time!

To me that looks like green starburst polyps, which are a very close relative to GSP. They have slightly different polyps in that they are a different shade of green, they have a bright white center, and the "tentacles" seem to be shorter. In the link below look at the metallic green picture and study your piece!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+599+738&pcatid=738

CronicReefer

To me that looks like green starburst polyps, which are a very close relative to GSP. They have slightly different polyps in that they are a different shade of green, they have a bright white center, and the "tentacles" seem to be shorter. In the link below look at the metallic green picture and study your piece!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought GSP was the acronym for green starburst polyp?

You may be correct on that a LFS once told me a long time ago that they are two different species and even if they are not I do believe there are different spices of star polyps. I have a colony I will try to get a pic of tomorrow where I have what they called star burst polyps and star polyps on the same rock. There is absolutely a difference, I just am not sure on the names as I am just going off the LFS.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought GSP was the acronym for green starburst polyp?

gsp is gsp is gsp

CronicReefer

You may be correct on that a LFS once told me a long time ago that they are two different species and even if they are not I do believe there are different spices of star polyps. I have a colony I will try to get a pic of tomorrow where I have what they called star burst polyps and star polyps on the same rock. There is absolutely a difference, I just am not sure on the names as I am just going off the LFS.

I understand what you mean. It's the same with all coral, there are acans but their are different species within the acan family. Just like with GSP there are different colors/varieties.

It's a cool looking piece anyway, I was just wondering about it. Hopefully it colors up a bit.. Thanks for all the replies!

I have 3 varieties of gsp in my tank, one is a very bright dense carpeting green, another is a metallic green its darker and under white lights doesn't look as bright as the first mentioned, and finally I have this variety, the green is almost minty looking and the polyps emerge from a stem like structure extending from the mat of purple.

Archived