Pod Your Reef

Anyone kept a Monkey Shrimp (Saron sp.)?

Nathans_Reef

I have just seen on a website that they have a Monkey Shrimp (Saron sp.) for sale and I am very interested in getting a pair. I tank is going to have soft corals only, I have not really heard of these shrimp before so does anyone know anything about them such as; Do they like to eat any perticular corals?, Can I keep them in a pair? Thanks everyone as always 👍 

6 minutes ago, Tired said:

There seem to be multiple species sold in the hobby. Some are reef-safe, some aren't, and they're difficult to tell apart. 

Yeah, I knew I had seen similar looking shrimps in the past, the website said that they are completely reef safe. I am just a bit sceptical about buying them as I don't know much about them. thanks for the reply.

Get a Saron marmoratus - those are usually reefsafe. Avoid S. rectirostris. I've kept Sarons on and off for years. They don't harm corals or anything else in a reeftank, and are mostly scavengers. 

Also, they're mostly nocturnal & elusive, and can change colors (red or green) when the lights are off. And it is best to do a single shrimp per tank, as opposed to a pair. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have Saron shrimp from live aquaria and they are reef safe and a lot of fun and sooo pretty! They don’t like others of their own kind and will mostly avoid each other. Don’t drip acclimate in the same container. I tried that and it was a brawl! They have been fine with my pom Pom crabs and such but I haven’t tried them with other shrimp.

Mine are Saron marmoratus like snow said. They have been super useful as a CUC member and not obnoxious like cleaner shrimp. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, Tired said:

Any suggestions from y'all on how to be sure someone buys the right species? I'd actually kinda like one, if it wouldn't cause a problem. 

LA and BlueZoo have them both labeled by species and sent me the correct ones. I have never seen them in a LFS. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I have Saron shrimp from live aquaria and they are reef safe and a lot of fun and sooo pretty! They don’t like others of their own kind and will mostly avoid each other. Don’t drip acclimate in the same container. I tried that and it was a brawl! They have been fine with my pom Pom crabs and such but I haven’t tried them with other shrimp.

Mine are Saron marmoratus like snow said. They have been super useful as a CUC member and not obnoxious like cleaner shrimp. 

yes they look really nice, thanks for the advice. I have seen on live aquaria that they are not reef safe, it has just put me off a bit. I'm just wondering if it is a good idea to get one when I don't have another tank to put it in just incase it decides that it likes the taste of my corals. 

14 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Get a Saron marmoratus - those are usually reefsafe. Avoid S. rectirostris. I've kept Sarons on and off for years. They don't harm corals or anything else in a reeftank, and are mostly scavengers. 

Also, they're mostly nocturnal & elusive, and can change colors (red or green) when the lights are off. And it is best to do a single shrimp per tank, as opposed to a pair. 

the shrimp on the website that I would get it from just says that its common name is Monkey shrimp and the scientific name is Saron sp. I searched Monkey shrimp on google and the live aquaria website came up and said that the Monkey Shrimp is Saron marmoratus, but it also said that they are not reef safe. I'm just debating wether its a good idea to get one when I don't have another tank to put it in just incase it starts to eat my corals.

5 hours ago, Nathans_Reef said:

the shrimp on the website that I would get it from just says that its common name is Monkey shrimp and the scientific name is Saron sp. I searched Monkey shrimp on google and the live aquaria website came up and said that the Monkey Shrimp is Saron marmoratus, but it also said that they are not reef safe. I'm just debating wether its a good idea to get one when I don't have another tank to put it in just incase it starts to eat my corals.

Live Aquaria information is a generalization.

They list peppermint shrimp as reef safe which I would argue is not true. More like reef safe with caution. 

It’s just a matter of what Saron species they send you.

• Like 1