Bunocephalus amazonicus?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Bunocephalus amazonicus?

Post by Martin S »

This fish came in with a batch of 'standard' and had been at my LFS for some time. Once I had freed up the smaller tank, I decided to give it a home as I like having 'oddballs'. So anyway, size is about 2"TL, and colour is pretty much what you see in the picture - light beige/sandy colour. The only fish I could find similarish was - size is about right, as is colour/features, but I just wanted it confirmed before adding to my cats.
Pictures aren't great as rarely see it out, and these were taken with the tank lights out and flash.
Thanks
Martin
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bunocephalus amazonicus?

Post by Silurus »

I don't think that is B. amazonicus. My guess would be one of the dwarf Pseudobunocephalus species such as or . That said, the head seems unusually deep for either one of these species and it may very well turn out to be something undescribed.

Ignore color. Color is almost useless for distinguishing aspredinids.

[Mod edit: Update species name... --Mats]
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Silurus wrote:I don't think that is B. amazonicus. My guess would be one of the dwarf Bunocephalus species such as Bunocephalus quadriradiatus or Bunocephalus iheringii. That said, the head seems unusually deep for either one of these species and it may very well turn out to be something undescribed.

Ignore color. Color is almost useless for distinguishing aspredinids.
Thanks HH - interesting. The unusual colour was one of the things that made me think it was B. amazonicus, though the skin 'tone' is different from your close-up pictures.
I'd say no to but only based on the fact my fish doesn't have the unusual shaped dorsal fin seen in the pictures, but not sure if this is a specific feature.
I guess some better pictures may help. This was the first time I've seen it out since I've had it, and have only seen it part-buried twice - it either hides in the undergrowth, or deep in the sand.
Thanks, as always
Martin

[Mod edit: remove clog tags in old names in quoted post, add pseudo to bunocephalis for the main post - see post above for new links --Mats]
The.Dark.One
I've donated: $26.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Castleford, West Yorkshire, England
Location 2: Castleford

Post by The.Dark.One »

I have one of these and was unable to identify it. I checked with John Friel and he too could not ID it, using images. IMO it is not a Pseudobunocephalus as in that genus the caudal fin is different to Bunocephalus. Yours has the caudal fin of a Bunocephalus. How many anal fin rays has it got, just to ensure it is not a Pterobunocephalus (I don't think it is based on the length of the body in comparison with the anterior portion of the body, and head).
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

The.Dark.One wrote:I have one of these and was unable to identify it. I checked with John Friel and he too could not ID it, using images. IMO it is not a Pseudobunocephalus as in that genus the caudal fin is different to Bunocephalus. Yours has the caudal fin of a Bunocephalus. How many anal fin rays has it got, just to ensure it is not a Pterobunocephalus (I don't think it is based on the length of the body in comparison with the anterior portion of the body, and head).
Hi Steve
Not sure, will try and do a count and let you know, though prefer to take a picture, which I won't be abe to do until the weekend as my daughter is returning my camera on Friday.
Leave it with me, but thanks for your input.
Regards
Martin
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

I know its a long shot, but could it be a melanistic version of the Bunocephalus coracoideus ?
What's your favorite Dressing~~
The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One »

It could be. The easy way to decide this is to have a shot of the underside of the body - Martin?
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

The.Dark.One wrote:It could be. The easy way to decide this is to have a shot of the underside of the body - Martin?
Will find it, and get some shots to include the anal fin and underside. Won't be until the weeken though.
Martin
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Very unique shape for a Bunocephalus sp.. They seem to be able to blend in so well with their surroundings, I never know what their colors are.
Amanda
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Ok, some more pictures, unable to get a clear shot of the anal fin as am trying to hold it and take pictures at the same time! First three taken with no flash.
The yellow around the anal area really is that yellow!
Not sure if any of these are good enough to confirm if it is or isn't a melanistic B. coracoideus, or help at all, but didn't want to stress it any more than I had - these were the best of about 15 I took.
Martin
nvcichlids

Post by nvcichlids »

I am no expert on catfish, but I would lean more towards the melanistic idea rather than anything else. Thats just my 2 cents and reguardless you have one awesome fish Martin!
The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One »

Hi Martin

IMO it is not amazonicus, or a Pterobunocephalus, as the caudal and the anal are wrong for those (respectively). The posterior process of the coracoids are too short for coracoideus. Looks like a pale colombianus, or an undescribed Bunocephalus sp. My money is on a pale colombianus.
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

nvcichlids wrote:I am no expert on catfish, but I would lean more towards the melanistic idea rather than anything else. Thats just my 2 cents and reguardless you have one awesome fish Martin!
Thanks Nate.
The.Dark.One wrote:Hi Martin
IMO it is not amazonicus, or a Pterobunocephalus, as the caudal and the anal are wrong for those (respectively). The posterior process of the coracoids are too short for coracoideus. Looks like a pale colombianus, or an undescribed Bunocephalus sp. My money is on a pale colombianus.
OK, thanks for that Steve - much appreciated.
Are there any specific details that would confirm or rule it out as a pale ?
One other question - does the presence of (what looks like to me) a genital papillae (see image 4 above) confirm it as a male, or is it not a 'feature' that can be used to show sexual dimorphism?
Thanks again
Martin
The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One »

It has the right body shape for colombianus. The shorter coracoid processes and the higher number of anal fin rays point towards colombianus (which can vary in colour). Not 100% confirmed but I would suggest the genital area structure is similar to Erethistidae, so looking at the the structure, and the body shape I would guess it is a male, but I'm not 100% sure.
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

The.Dark.One wrote:It has the right body shape for colombianus. The shorter coracoid processes and the higher number of anal fin rays point towards colombianus (which can vary in colour). Not 100% confirmed but I would suggest the genital area structure is similar to Erethistidae, so looking at the the structure, and the body shape I would guess it is a male, but I'm not 100% sure.
Thanks again Steve :thumbsup:
I'll add it as a male B.columbianus then :D
Regards
Martin
nvcichlids

Post by nvcichlids »

Image 1 in the last group of fish clearly shows a very light colored eye. Looking at my columbianus which do vary in color, they all have dark eyes, and so to the images in the catelog.

I don't think that is enough to say its melanistic, but it is another thing to look at or into.

Return to “What is my catfish?”