Acropora Abrolhosensis (blue / purple)- Where to purchase?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always like the tree like growth forms of staghorns and must admit I feel they provide great character to an SPS reef. Having a minamalistic aquascape created specifically for at least 2 of these I would really like to know if anyone knows of someone who sells these. I recently purchased a Green abrolhesensis - which is self identified so correct me if I am wrong. I would like to add a purple or blue kind such as mentioned on RB article - which I find stunning!

I know these corals are probably protected in the wild and if anyone knows of a aquaculture place that sells these I'd appreciate any suggestions if its even possible to find them..

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/08/07/meeting-classic-acropora-abrolhosensis-reef-flores/

The long stick towards the right is the acro in question...

20170629_221529.jpg

20170629_221457.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea off the top of my head, I'll look around though. Just wanted to comment that the tank looks really good, great scape.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea off the top of my head, I'll look around though. Just wanted to comment that the tank looks really good, great scape.

Thank alot and I appreciate the compliment. Trying to stay patient and not overstock but it's getting difficult

I just watched krystofs reef video from last year and he seems to have the same coral mentioned in the article. It definately a stuning coral never seen a acro with large polyps like this.. my friend watched the video with me and asked if the acro was soft or hard if taken out.lol

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an article written in 2000 regarding this abrolhensis being "rare' and upon further reviews its currently on the vulnerable list.. I just want something non-green but make sense why I can't seem to find it anywhere.

http://www.reeffarmers.com/abrolhensismostwanted.htm
If it's listed as vulnerable, we *almost* certainly ain't gonna see it on our trade. (Very very small chance, but also very very unlikely)

If you want something non green, there are tons of options, but you're gonna have to look in other species.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this article. Too me it seems that no one has been able to succesfully farm this stunner.

Honestly I am willing to give it I can acquire a piece. Either that or Tenius just look better in fake blue and orange filters. This piece probably doesn't picture well in blue light

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see any of the purple ones in an aquarium but haven’t yet. I would guess the coloration would be just slightly purple on the top after adapting to an aquarium unless your running a bunch of light anyways.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acro i had one original post was a stunning piece, I lost it when I moved and I will tell you i've never had such a fuzzy staghorn as this one. It was completely covered with polyps and If only I had it today I could grow it out and get a better ID. I know of old hobbyist saying they had Green abrolhosensis so I am assuming its that, or some other fuzzy green staghorn.

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super old thread but I had a green albro I had purchased from live aquaria some time ago. I used to watch the divers den page daily and occasionally one would come in. By far my favorite stag. It would be great to find it again. I actually thing battle
Corals might have it. I purchased their green stag a few years ago. They changed the name to a green Florida stag so I’m not sure it’s really it, but it’s pretty inexpensive. Might be worth a try to see what it grows into. Here was a few pics I had gotten from BC. In my opinion it’s an albro not a Florida.

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpeg
    IMG_1029.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1062.jpeg
    IMG_1062.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1121.jpeg
    IMG_1121.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the same green acro after losing it. I believe LFS had it as a green slimer but I told myself its abro but now realized it is not! Vivid has the same acro i have and its a electric staghorn. I did get the Bleeding Tree Abro last year (battlecorals) and its encrusting but not really growing upwards yet... It is a hardy specimen but taking awhile to take off! I think once mine grows it will be a showstopper like the picture I found on google below.

1711032815187.png

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the same green acro after losing it. I believe LFS had it as a green slimer but I told myself its abro but now realized it is not! Vivid has the same acro i have and its a electric staghorn. I did get the Bleeding Tree Abro last year (battlecorals) and its encrusting but not really growing upwards yet... It is a hardy specimen but taking awhile to take off! I think once mine grows it will be a showstopper like the picture I found on google below.

1711032815187.png
This is A. abrotanoides, not A. abrolhosensis. Part of the problem when people shorten the names of things.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super old thread but I had a green albro I had purchased from live aquaria some time ago. I used to watch the divers den page daily and occasionally one would come in. By far my favorite stag. It would be great to find it again. I actually thing battle
Corals might have it. I purchased their green stag a few years ago. They changed the name to a green Florida stag so I’m not sure it’s really it, but it’s pretty inexpensive. Might be worth a try to see what it grows into. Here was a few pics I had gotten from BC. In my opinion it’s an albro not a Florida.
These shaggy green staghorns might actually be A. aspera.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some examples of the baby blue tipped A. abrolhosensis that used to be common in the hobby.
IMG_2973.png
IMG_1485.png
IMG_2808.png

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back