Adorned Wrasse - Halichoeres cosmetus

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone every kept one of these beauties, Adorned Wrasse - Halichoeres cosmetus? I've seen some awesome pictures of mature fish but I'm not familiar with the sub-species.
Thx

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5020.JPG
I have one, he's very chilled out and not bothered any of my fish or new additions. When I added another halichoeres he should a bit of dominance but that lasted about 5 minutes, he leaves my cuc alone, I did suspect him eating my cleaner shrimp until I found his dead body.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Less aggressive than melanurus, a little more aggressive than a yellow coris wrasse. A cool, hardy Halichoeres species.

My experience also. Was the boss with yellow, silver belly and iridis but didn't show any aggression. I did lose a small hermit to it but everything else was fine. Would definitely recommend.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also recently found these fish to be of an interest.

To those with an Adorned Wrasse... Have you noticed if these fish help eradicate vermetid snails?
I have been battling vermetids for a while and as my corals grow out, it's getting harder and harder to get all of the snails removed. I'm considering adding a Halichoeres sp. wrasse, and the Adorned was one of those considered; along with H. biocellatus and H. claudia.
My only concern is I have a Tiger Pistol Shrimp with a pair of Randall's Gobies and a few peppermint shrimp for aiptasia control.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ineedhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and love the thing, he is very hardy and has never bothered anything in my tank! I cant report on how he does with shrimp though I do not currently have one.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those with an Adorned Wrasse... Have you noticed if these fish help eradicate vermetid snails?
I have been battling vermetids for a while and as my corals grow out, it's getting harder and harder to get all of the snails removed. I'm considering adding a Halichoeres sp. wrasse, and the Adorned was one of those considered; along with H. biocellatus and H. claudia.
Halichoeres won't really do much for them. If you break the tubes and expose the worm, then they will eat them of course, but the tube protects the worm pretty well. Halichoeres don't have the ability to handle the tube itself.

Kevin Jay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an adorned and he ate my new peppermint shrimp whole. Be careful he will eat small snails and such. Keep him well fed!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup Halichoeres will generally leave your corals alone (might take an exploratory nip) but it will go after snails, hermits and smaller shrimp.

stklaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a 2.5" Adorned last week from LA DiversDen. Came excited as a puppy ready at the top of the bag to get out and was cruising and exploring immediately, even ate that night and really well since. Their subtle, neon pastel colors are very artistic, and they're passive and entertaining... unless you're a cleaner shrimp. Tore him in half within 5 minutes of adding the shrimp. But he's really friendly and makes the others kinda want swim with him, including a 5 year old bonded pair of Clowns, a blenny and his instant best bud - Red headed fairy Wrasse we added at the same time.

20191129_205126.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back