Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had experience with these?
African Fancy Gumdrop Coral Croucher

Caught my eye on DD as they have had couple bonded pairs last month or so.

So tempted.

Would be going into 30gl mixed reef mostly sps with 2 clowns.
High flow
8f73c03f0083db0be05699f41130178b.jpg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, yes I have. I've had two..... lemme show you the extent of my interaction....

DD has them all the time as a bycatch of SPS, if you will. Their environment is naturally an SPS one. They are called coral crouchers because they crouch in corals, literally. Flow won't bother them, because they won't be out in it. Their reason for hiding isn't that they are nervous and will eventually warm up and be outgoing. They hide because that's that's what they are built to do. You'll have to be super careful with tank maintenance, as you won't be able to blindly grab a rock and move it, they could be hidden there.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool for about for about 4 seconds, three times a week. I don't recommend them, to be honest. Not unless someone REALLY wanted one, but you discovered that in that other thread.

The first one we bought was labelled a gumdrop Goby, so we didn't even realize it was a venomous velvetfish.

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the search will continue for something cool and paired, until then the clowns keep their mansion to themselves
DD has a lot of goby pair/pistol shrimp lately. If my yasha goby pair is an indication, I would plan on seeing them less than the gumdrops though :/

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, I know others are more outgoing. I was specifically referring to Yasha gobies in a tank with no aggressive tankmates :/

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I say in that other thread is still my consensus on them. I still have mine and he seriously is my favorite fish (hence him being in my icon).

These fish are definitely not for most people, they hide a ton, sometimes will go on escapades to find new hidey holes where you can't find them and they then don't eat for almost a week (after these adventures my little dude usually goes back to tried and true areas where he gets fed), they are venomous, they do not come out and hang out or swim in the current (not horrible swimmers, but nor are they great swimmers), they usually require spot feeding. Cheers for super run on sentence.

The video Lionfish Lair shared is a VERY good example of what having these guys is like.

But they are ridiculously adorable and always grumpy looking, I can't imagine my tank without him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back