All About the yellow fuzzy dwarf lionfish

Reef0holic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking about getting a yellow fuzzy dwarf lionfish, if someone could tell me about the current prices, feeding, and other general stuff about them, thanks.

0BC2E4C9-74A1-41C7-A231-465996BBBCD6.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Was thinking about getting a yellow fuzzy dwarf lionfish, if someone could tell me about the current prices, feeding, and other general stuff about them, thanks.

0BC2E4C9-74A1-41C7-A231-465996BBBCD6.jpeg
They are one of the least expensive and can’t say what they cost as each LFS has their own price structure
They are the easier big lions to feed and adapt to tank well
Some foods are krill, silversides and ghost shrimp
Avoid feeding live foods such as guppies

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one (red, not yellow but it really doesnt matter in terms of husbandry). Hardy fish with a great personality. Mine eats everything (mysis, frozen shrimps or fish, feeder shrimps, krill, NLS pellets, etc.). You just need to be careful with other inhabitants. He will likely eat smaller fish or shrimps. From real experts (there are some here at R2R), you will most likely read that fuzzy dwarves are the easiest ones to learn to eat frozen. Mine did this immediately after introducing it to the tank. Besides feeding, they are really simple to care and I highly recommend them.:)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same care as the other dwarf lions, not as hardy as some say, without the proper diet will likely not live more than 1-1.5 years. Just as all the dwarf lions, many times come in with internal parasites and will not tolerate copper or antibiotics, if they survive treatment with these chemicals they will die soon after. Most will charge a very high price and it varies, I got one as a regular fuzzy with just a hint of yellow and paid very little, I got another one for $350. I got a recent email from a supplier that I had done business with before, he offered me one for $600. I laughed, I just won't pay the prices anyone is charging for most things today, and the mortality rate is so high it's barely worth the risk; unless you know your source very, very well. The yellow may be a genetic morph but may also be depended on diet. I have seen some feed an inadequate dead food diet and the yellow faded to brown over several months. Here's a couple of my past yellows and my current red. I keep my dwarf lions an average of 10 years by feeding a live food dominant diet. I've written alot of threads about care and feeding if you want to keep one for 10 years instead of months or a year, click my name and "find all threads".

1667758923439.png

1667759229405.png

1667759336317.png

Last edited:

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same care as the other dwarf lions, not as hardy as some say, without the proper diet will likely not live more than 1-1.5 years. Just as all the dwarf lions, many times come in with internal parasites and will not tolerate copper or antibiotics, if they survive treatment with these chemicals they will die soon after. Most will charge a very high price and it varies, I got one as a regular fuzzy with just a hint of yellow and paid very little, I got another one for $350. I got a recent email from a supplier that I had done business with before, he offered me one for $600. I laughed, I just won't pay the prices anyone is charging for most things today, and the mortality rate is so high it's barely worth the risk; unless you know your source very, very well. The yellow may be a genetic morph but may also be depended on diet. I have seen some feed an inadequate dead food diet and the yellow faded to brown over several months. Here's a couple of my past yellows and my current red. I keep my dwarf lions an average of 10 years by feeding a live food dominant diet. I've written alot of threads about care and feeding if you want to keep one for 10 years instead of months or a year, click my name and "find all threads".

1667758923439.png

1667759229405.png

1667759336317.png
Hey, looking for your thread on the dwarf lion and live feeding. I've kept volitans just fine but wanted to know your thoughts on the yellow dwarf and can't seem to find the right thread?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back