Allen’s damsel looks like it’s about to explode !

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this fish for about 3 months and it started being really fat not too long after being in the tank. At first I was feeding a lot so I didn’t think much of it. 2 days ago I noticed white matter that seemed stuck to its anal vent. I figured it was an excess of fecal matter and thought I would keep an eye on it.

This morning, this white matter is still present but more worrying, the fish now has white streaks on both sides. It looks like it’s so bloated that the flesh on his sides is literally tearing and causing a change of color from blue to white.

It’s still eating and behaving as usual, or so it seems.

I tried to take the best pictures I could but it’s hard to see how fat he is. I hope someone can help. Thank you !

09BC2DB4-91E8-4C6C-ABEE-40EA895B0148.jpeg
C2DB3F55-7A3E-4903-AF38-262BB5BA6BA1.jpeg
9845EC5B-26FB-4A75-9C56-1A1EC394A0B9.jpeg
E33BF6C3-6CD3-45B7-8DF3-CE78489DDF56.png

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the vertical lesion new? I'm concerned that may be uronema. Has it spread to the other side of the body? If its is uronema, there is no cure but it is not likely to be contagious. Survival will be unlikely.

Jay or vetteguy may have more insight when they see your post.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the vertical lesion new? I'm concerned that may be uronema. Has it spread to the other side of the body? If its is uronema, there is no cure but it is not likely to be contagious. Survival will be unlikely.

Jay or vetteguy may have more insight when they see your post.
Yes, it’s on both sides of the body. It happened really fast, in just days it seems. The lines are white though, not red.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like constipation in addition to the fact that bloating isn’t a disease, it’s a symptom. A symptom that can pop up due to a number of factors such as constipation, internal parasite or infection. One thing to note is the rectal area is extended (rectal prolapse) My guess is a gram positive bacterial infection which can cause hemorrhagic septicemia condition.
For cure and prevention, maintaining optimum diet and water quality always helps. Sometimes all the vitamins, nutritional diet and clean water aren't enough. At times a fish's natural immune system needs a helping hand and will require using antibiotics is not an easy decision but necessary.
Most effective would be:
  • Kanamycin (Seachem Kanaplex)
  • Nitrofurazone (Furan-2)
  • Maracyn 2
PraziPro may also help with bloating if associated with internal bacteria or constiation. Incease oxygen whenever treating any fish with meds .
Foods soaked in focus will also help when adding antibiotics

IF THE FISH IS EATING. . . you can try to boil a couple of frozen , then boiled peeled green peas which high in fiber

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most effective would be:
  • Kanamycin (Seachem Kanaplex)
  • Nitrofurazone (Furan-2)
  • Maracyn 2
I’m in Canada and have no access to those meds. Here is a (short) list of what I have on hand :

- General cure
- Fenbendazole (222mg/g - in the form of dog dewormer that needs to be diluted)
- Melafix
-Nox-Ich

Would any of those help ? I only have my display tank ready so do I dose in my display ?

PraziPro may also help with bloating if associated with internal bacteria or constiation. Incease oxygen whenever treating any fish with meds .
Foods soaked in focus will also help when adding antibiotics

Would it help if I didn’t feed for two days ? I would hate to fast everyone but if I don’t have a choice I will.

And how do I make sure this doesn’t happen again ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m in Canada and have no access to those meds. Here is a (short) list of what I have on hand :

- General cure
- Fenbendazole (222mg/g - in the form of dog dewormer that needs to be diluted)
- Melafix
-Nox-Ich

Would any of those help ? I only have my display tank ready so do I dose in my display ?

Would it help if I didn’t feed for two days ? I would hate to fast everyone but if I don’t have a choice I will.

And how do I make sure this doesn’t happen again ?
Closest thing you have on hand to help would be General cure
You can. . . . not feed but if it is eating, try the green pea method in case of constipation.

Prevention - Good water quality and diet. Use frozen foods such as :
LRS reef frenzy
Hikari marine cuisine
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Formula one

I am guessing you are feeding dry such as pellets and flakes. I would use those as supplemental feedings

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prevention - Good water quality and diet. Use frozen foods such as :
LRS reef frenzy
Hikari marine cuisine
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Formula one

I am guessing you are feeding dry such as pellets and flakes. I would use those as supplemental feedings
I’m feeding 100% Hikari frozen (spirulina, mysis shrimps, brine shrimps and the occasional krill).

I used to feed 50% frozen - 50% pellets and flakes but I stopped the latter because of rising nitrates. I stopped 3-4 weeks ago.

I can try peas but I’m not sure it’s going to eat it.

I don’t suppose General cure can go in the display tank ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m feeding 100% Hikari frozen (spirulina, mysis shrimps, brine shrimps and the occasional krill).

I used to feed 50% frozen - 50% pellets and flakes but I stopped the latter because of rising nitrates. I stopped 3-4 weeks ago.

I can try peas but I’m not sure it’s going to eat it.

I don’t suppose General cure can go in the display tank ?
GC best in a display

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back