Anyone got a black tang

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, this species is overrated…
The only nice thing about them is the long nose they get, the dorsal and anal fins stay rather small in comparison to others in the genus.

I’d love to see other peoples photos though :)
I guess working in an LFS, you get kind of blinded by the Rarities as they’re just not all that rare to you.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. I do not recall seeing one in person.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a white one
IMG_20230522_191040.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. I do not recall seeing one in person.
They’re thought to be endemic to Hawaii but they’re native to 5-6 different areas throughout the pacific and possibly into the right of the Indian Ocean.
It’s rare you’ll find one but when you do they’re usually juveniles and don’t resemble much of their adult phase other than the black with white scalpel IMO.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only nice thing about them is the long nose they get, the dorsal and anal fins stay rather small in comparison to others in the genus.

I guess working in an LFS, you get kind of blinded by the Rarities as they’re just not all that rare to you.

angry family guy GIF by HULU

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you got any idea when TOP getting another shipment of fish?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them at the LFS, and I can say with full confidence that they are the ugliest fish in the hobby. When small, they have proportions similar to other Zebrasoma, and they look pretty nice. Maybe not as pretty as a yellow or gem, but certainly not ugly.

1685369822895.png

(not my picture)

When they get big, they turn into the ugliest fish in the ocean. Look at this thing. Just look at it. Tell me that this fish is intrinsically worth upwards of $1000.

1685370427771.png

(not my picture)

Please, save yourself the time and money, get yourself a nice scopas tang. Even a lawnmower blenny looks nicer. If you have a black tang, good for you. I'm not going to tell you that your fish is horrible. If you like them, you like them. But the chances of me putting one of these in my tank are miniscule. "Overrated" is a good word for them.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them at the LFS, and I can say with full confidence that they are the ugliest fish in the hobby. When small, they have proportions similar to other Zebrasoma, and they look pretty nice. Maybe not as pretty as a yellow or gem, but certainly not ugly.

1685369822895.png

(not my picture)

When they get big, they turn into the ugliest fish in the ocean. Look at this thing. Just look at it. Tell me that this fish is intrinsically worth upwards of $1000.

1685370427771.png

(not my picture)

Please, save yourself the time and money, get yourself a nice scopas tang. Even a lawnmower blenny looks nicer. If you have a black tang, good for you. I'm not going to tell you that your fish is horrible. If you like them, you like them. But the chances of me putting one of these in my tank are miniscule. "Overrated" is a good word for them.
I am going to have to agree with that!

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1685369822895.png

(not my picture)

1685370427771.png

(not my picture)

is the bottom 1 not hybrid with scopas

This is a pure black tang
blackk tang.jpg

This is yellow scopas tang and has same eyes as the bottom 1 you linked

scopass tang.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you got any idea when TOP getting another shipment of fish?
We get shipments every Wednesday and Friday. Rare fish like these guys likely won’t be back in for a while.
is the bottom 1 not hybrid with scopas

This is a pure black tang
blackk tang.jpg

This is yellow scopas tang and has same eyes as the bottom 1 you linked

scopass tang.png
Our black that was in was still juvenile so it doesn’t show that grey colouring.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We get shipments every Wednesday and Friday. Rare fish like these guys likely won’t be back in for a while.

Our black that was in was still juvenile so it doesn’t show that grey colouring.
couldn't afford a black tang atm anyways im in debt atm lol will be next year when i can get 1 maybe end of this year but need a new tank

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1685369822895.png

(not my picture)

1685370427771.png

(not my picture)

Agreed. Look cool as juveniles but the adults look like Muppet fish or something to me lol! One of my LFS has a big one and I just don't find it attractive. To each their own though I suppose. Definitely not worth 1k though.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Look cool as juveniles but the adults look like Muppet fish or something to me lol! One of my LFS has a big one and I just don't find it attractive. To each their own though I suppose. Definitely not worth 1k though.
i wish they we're 1k more than double that here

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back