Are these whelks??

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have 2 nassarius snails in my tank at the moment. Both are fairly quick at feeding time, come veering straight for mysis, and when my turbos occasionally fall over, will come investigate if it’s been turned over for a while.

My strombus this morning wasn’t moving a whole lot, very retracted in its shell, was responsive to light and not much else. I left it, came back a few hours later to both snails inside it’s shell basically!! They’re probably just scavenging a free meal off a sick/distressed snail, but ya never know. They’re both super fast, and love a feast.

IMG_7018.jpeg IMG_7019.jpeg IMG_7020.jpeg IMG_7021.jpeg IMG_7023.jpeg IMG_7022.jpeg

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have plain coloured “feet?” Shell is dark on one, but striped on the other, and the snorkel is lightly splotchy. Also have a lil greenish piece on the back of their foot?

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nass are whelks so technically yes.

If its predatory I'm not sure, IME the predatory whelks tend to stay out more and in the rock work while nass you only see during feeding/night time and stay buried.

I'm leaning towards no off visuals alone but predatory whelks and safe whelks look so similar you'd need a trained eye to ID them. I also ain't too sure if they are capable of taking down a snail that big, most predatory snails either are huge and go after smaller beneficial ones or get caught in the mix and just kill off each other (in this case, if one of those nassarius are rouge it'd kill the others first and maybe a couple batches before you realize).

Last edited:
OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nass are whelks so technically yes.

If its predatory I'm not sure, IME the predatory whelks tend to stay out more and in the rock work while nass you only see during feeding/night time and stay buried.

I'm leaning towards no off visuals alone but predatory whelks and safe whelks look so similar you'd need a trained eye to ID them. I also ain't too sure if they are capable of taking down a snail that big, most predatory snails either are huge and go after smaller beneficial ones or get caught in the mix and just kill off each other (in this case, if one of those nassarius are rouge it'd kill the others first and maybe a couple batches before you realize).
Ahh okay I see. I genuinely only see them at feeding time, or super occasionally inbetween if they’re out exploring for some reason (they crawl up the glass at night sometimes).

Based off what you’re saying, I’m reluctant to think their whelks then. The stromb was fairly large, and seemed sickly this morning. All my small snails are fine until they fall off the glass and eventually stress out and die? and then made a meal out of. Thanks mate

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have 2 nassarius snails in my tank at the moment. Both are fairly quick at feeding time, come veering straight for mysis, and when my turbos occasionally fall over, will come investigate if it’s been turned over for a while.

My strombus this morning wasn’t moving a whole lot, very retracted in its shell, was responsive to light and not much else. I left it, came back a few hours later to both snails inside it’s shell basically!! They’re probably just scavenging a free meal off a sick/distressed snail, but ya never know. They’re both super fast, and love a feast.

IMG_7018.jpeg IMG_7019.jpeg IMG_7020.jpeg IMG_7021.jpeg IMG_7023.jpeg IMG_7022.jpeg
I think the smooth one is a Nassarius. The other.. I think is a whelk.
Have you looked for images to compare?

Just found this, haven't even read it yet.

Welp, I'm not sure now with your pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the smooth one is a Nassarius. The other.. I think is a whelk.
Have you looked for images to compare?

Just found this, haven't even read it yet.

Welp, I'm not sure now with your pics.
Ahh I just read it. The smaller one with the textured shell stays submerged all the time…I think they’re just nassarius and I’m a bit paranoid. Dealing w cyano which may be making my snails sick

He doesn’t display any she’ll like behaviour except for the eating of the stromb

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its nassarius. Whelk will have a dark and tatooed snout and a trailing tail as in pic below. As Deburr said- color difference:

1686231299995.png

Whelk on the right

1686231332340.png

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your nassarius snails are tongan or "super"

Mine are very quick to pick off a shrimp or snail in distress. I don't think they are necessarily predatory, but if a shrimp has a bad molt they will consider it meal time.

It's hard to prove that the animal they target would have survived whatever condition they were going through when they attack, but my coral banded shrimp was absolutely still alive while they were eating it, he died shortly after though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your nassarius snails are tongan or "super"

Mine are very quick to pick off a shrimp or snail in distress. I don't think they are necessarily predatory, but if a shrimp has a bad molt they will consider it meal time.

It's hard to prove that the animal they target would have survived whatever condition they were going through when they attack, but my coral banded shrimp was absolutely still alive while they were eating it, he died shortly after though.
I guess ultimately they’re just doing their jobs though. In the wild they eat when they eat, if it’s a meal, it’s a meal. Nas snails are all ultimately carnivorous , just depends on how aggressive they are abt it. I think it’s just a hungry opportunist nas, not a whelk tho after this info

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back