Black spots on montipora

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These black spots have been developing on my montipora for a couple of weeks. They're getting bigger but the montipora is definitely growing. I've had this particular piece for about 8 months. Does anyone know what they are or have suggestions for treatment?

20211214_201948.jpg 20211214_201954.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Pic very blue to tell but may be black sponge

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be lighting shadows that lose color?

With lights out and a flashlight does it have less color there? Or is it still black. Lights out

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could it be lighting shadows that lose color?

With lights out and a flashlight does it have less color there? Or is it still black. Lights out
No it's definitely black regardless of the lights. It seems to be turning color on the edges mostly but also has spots in the center

Attachments

• 20211221_222820.jpg
    20211221_222820.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 83

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's definitely black regardless of the lights. It seems to be turning color on the edges mostly but also has spots in the center
Wow those are good pictures, no problem there,, I'm not sure what it is..I was thinking maybe bruises or the light. Im not sure hopefully someone can help. Any more Information could help.

Have you moved it lately, parameters, other coral stock(softies/ zoa/leather toxins) fish stock, recent alk spikes or nutrient issues anything you can think of as possible causes.

I'm not sure, I've never had black bruises like that before.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I accidentally broke it off the back glass about 3 months ago so I just put it on my frag rack... since then it's unfortunately encrusted the rack so now I have quite the dilemma. I have other pieces of the same coral which do not have those spots- yet. Also have other montipora species, birds nest, even a acro that's growing like crazy but the color is horrible. N is high, between 10-20 depending on wc's, usually closer to 20. I'm working on solving that issue. Also have LPS and softies (tons of zoas, leather), all doing great. P is usually right at .15, also working on solving that issue. Alk has been very stable at 9 although I had a dosed issue a few months back and it fell to under 7. Brought it back up over a couple weeks. I did start carbon dosing recently as a temporary fix but I'm way under-dosong ...I wonder if it could be a flow or lighting issue but the small frag right next to it is doing fine.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you write black spots, do you mean the darker areas/patches?
I'd be inclined to watch those after lights out to watch for pests. Watch very closely as some pests are very small

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd be inclined to watch those after lights out to watch for pests. Watch very closely as some pests are very smal

I'd be inclined to watch those after lights out to watch for pests. Watch very closely as some pests are very small
Sorry, not very specific. Yes, they are darker areas of the coral tissue. They're not really black, more like discolored red or brown. I like that idea. I will inspect the corals when I get home later this morning, as I'm about to head to downtown Minneapolis to cut off like 300 subscribers Comcast internet... the joys of being a cable lineman!!!

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not very specific. Yes, they are darker areas of the coral tissue. They're not really black, more like discolored red or brown. I like that idea. I will inspect the corals when I get home later this morning, as I'm about to head to downtown Minneapolis to cut off like 300 subscribers Comcast internet... the joys of being a cable lineman!!!
Oh, I didn't realize you were one of THOSE GUYS. I shouldn't be helping you. LOL
Have at-er, your job is what it is. We all need to do things sometimes we don't like.

Montipora eating Nudibranchs can clear a swath in a coral in hours

Look intently after-hours with a red flashlight, or very quickly with a regular flashlight, for very tiny buggers

They can be so small you'd never see them with your eyes

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hahaha....No, I'm one of the good guys. I only fix it! I will definitely do that when I get home. Stupid question, would a uv flashlight work? No red light but I'll get one

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be bruising from prior damage maybe a mystery worm,or flat worm like we see in larger montipora, cyphasterea, goniastrea favia, and favites, and even some tabling acropora

To me personally it looks more like a flat worm or as stated above could be a black sponge

Montipora can also bruise and damage the slime coat and if left undipped in revice and left in a low flow area it can also be detrimental to coral health

Just my 2 cents try lugol dip aswell as adding 1ml to tank weekly, and feeding polyp booster by polyplabs and then target feeding a slurry of some kind of phyto and oyster feast once or twice a week to fatten the monti up and rebuild slime coat

To sps amino acids are crucial to ensure any nutritional deficiencies happen to the coral when it is stressed out

So dosing something like acro power or brightwell etc etc
Would also be a good idea

Dip in revive once a month and baster it when you do it

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1640150533667.png

And aleolid nudibranch are a serious problem and look like thase!(credit pic from @reefs.com)

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh it doesnt look nudis bc i dont see any wigglers in your pic or a shed mucus layer like shown above along bottom outer rim

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck bud
Tbh it doesnt look nudis bc i dont see any wigglers in your pic or a shed mucus layer like shown above along bottom outer rim
I'll defer to a more experienced diagnosis.
Doesn't rule them out. Not to cause alarm, but things happen.
Look for them just in case.

I had red bugs in my SPS system and didn't know it 'cause the colonies were large.
Finally found them and with the proper treatment my Colonies showed me colors/polyp extension I'd never seen before.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Might be bruising from prior damage maybe a mystery worm,or flat worm like we see in larger montipora, cyphasterea, goniastrea favia, and favites, and even some tabling acropora

To me personally it looks more like a flat worm or as stated above could be a black sponge

Montipora can also bruise and damage the slime coat and if left undipped in revice and left in a low flow area it can also be detrimental to coral health

Just my 2 cents try lugol dip aswell as adding 1ml to tank weekly, and feeding polyp booster by polyplabs and then target feeding a slurry of some kind of phyto and oyster feast once or twice a week to fatten the monti up and rebuild slime coat

To sps amino acids are crucial to ensure any nutritional deficiencies happen to the coral when it is stressed out

So dosing something like acro power or brightwell etc etc
Would also be a good idea

Dip in revive once a month and baster it when you do it
Thanks for the advice! I've definitely been slacking on the aminos, as I've been battling nitrates lately. So having a 50g system, 1 ml of lugol's per week is a safe dose? Dose all at once or slowly throughout the day? I've been interested in trying that lately. Guess it's time for an iodine TK...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back