Blue throat triggerfish: Fish-safe?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spent the past couple days reading everything I can after my LFS got a beautiful 5" male.

The reef-safe side doesn't concern me. I'm good with caution and CUC loses on occasion.

However, I don't want to have my smaller wrasses/gobies/etc to be consumed - at all.

There are a few stories floating around but I'm hoping to get an updated poll of the likelihood I might introduce a killer into the tank.

I think I already know it's too much of a risk, but... I'm asking anyway.

Photography skills excepted:

93DB0698-A0F0-49D8-A10C-4BD096FC26E8.jpeg

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From personal experience, yes they will eat smaller fish. I have a blue throat and a niger in my larger reef system and I had to shut down one of my smaller systems so I added my 2" yellow watchman goby. The goby decided to not swim down and burrow into the sand and proceeded to float up top for about 20 seconds, well that did not turn out well and my blue throat came up and bit him straight in half. I was in shock but I should of known better considering I dont have any small fish in my larger system. Lesson learned, they will eat anything that is available to them that is small enough

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. That's the exact experience I worry about.

I want to convince myself it is ok, but it isn't. Too many small fish to risk.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a large blue throat with my wrasses and never had any problems I recently added a baby lamark Angel.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 3” watchman goby, and he’s fine in the tank.. my blue throat trigger doesn’t bother anything in the tank, not even the cuc. I feed my tank pellets in the am, then frozen in the afternoon, everyone in the tank gets fed, so I have not had any issues with him at all.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back