Brittle Stars

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who have owned this starfish, what have your experiences been?
- Fish/Coral/Invert Safe?
- Do they feed on leftovers and detritus?
- Would one be alright in a 3’x16”x1’ tank?
- What colour(s) are safest?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you're asking about the regular sized ones...?

The minis will be fine.
Yeah, I mean the larger ones. My LFS has a striped serpent/brittle star in (I believe it’s a serpent but being sold as a brittle).

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I mean the larger ones. My LFS has a striped serpent/brittle star in (I believe it’s a serpent but being sold as a brittle).
We had one at the LFS for the longest time - arms spread out it was about the size of a dinner plate. NOBODY wanted it so after awhile another employee took it home. Seemed really peaceful - was held with a clown pair and various other fish. Couldnt imagine it hurting/killing a healthy fish - its arms moved soooo slow.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brittle stars should leave other animals alone, as long as they're fed well. You do have to make sure they get meaty foods, not just detritus.

Avoid green brittle stars, they're fish predators. They make a cave shape with their bodies, then, when a fish goes inside, they curl around it and digest it.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who have owned this starfish, what have your experiences been?
- Fish/Coral/Invert Safe?
- Do they feed on leftovers and detritus?
- Would one be alright in a 3’x16”x1’ tank?
- What colour(s) are safest?
I have heard that all brittle and serpent stars are reef-safe detritivores/scavengers in aquaria (though I have heard reports that they may need supplemental feedings) besides the green brittle star (Ophiarachna incrassata), which is known to feed on sleeping fish and motile invertebrates; I have never heard of them eating coral. My brittle star (Ophiocoma sp.) and harlequin serpent star (Ophioderma sp.) have been model citizens in my 40-gallon breeder and readily consume flakes, pellets, and bits of frozen food. Starfish (Asteroidea) and brittle/serpent stars (Ophiuroidea) represent separate classes of echinoderms, though they are very similar in appearance.
Which species have you been considering?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that all brittle and serpent stars are reef-safe detritivores/scavengers in aquaria (though I have heard reports that they may need supplemental feedings) besides the green brittle star (Ophiarachna incrassata), which is known to feed on sleeping fish and motile invertebrates; I have never heard of them eating coral. My brittle star (Ophiocoma sp.) and harlequin serpent star (Ophioderma sp.) have been model citizens in my 40-gallon breeder and readily consume flakes, pellets, and bits of frozen food. Starfish (Asteroidea) and brittle/serpent stars (Ophiuroidea) represent separate classes of echinoderms, though they are very similar in appearance.
Which species have you been considering?
I believe it’s the Harlequin serpent - I personally don’t mind which species I end up getting as long as it’s not a predator of small fish or going to annoy my SPS.
Small fish I own are;
- 3 Pseudocheilinops ataenia
- Discordipinna griessingeri
- 2 Wetmorella tanakai (in the future)

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I went to the LFS and I’m coming home with a beautiful Serpent Star (The exact species I’m unsure about and would love it if you guys could give me an ID). I’ll get a photo when it’s in acclimation :)

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the Serpent, never seen anything quite like this patterning.
2A029A10-DC87-4AEE-8607-2869A4419D2C.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen that patterning before, but searching up “harlequin serpent” on Google Images provides some similar results:
1662314259769.png

1662314292269.jpeg

1662314376582.jpeg
That’s my thoughts, the patterning are similar but none identical but as seen in the photo none of the harlequins have an identical pattern.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to have one but with sand sleepers do way. That guy looks like a nocturnal prowler.
So far he’s hidden under the rock where my Yasha calls home (the yasha doesn’t appear too happy about it). I have a blue star leopard in the tank who hasn’t shown much care towards him and he hasn’t shown much care towards the other fish in the tank.
He’s regrowing his little arm! Hopefully the little guy is okay. I’ve see stars without their arms or less arms at the fish store. It makes me sad because that’s not a good sign.
I’m hoping in my tank it’s peaceful enough to have him not be harmed. So far all I have in terms of fish is;
- Pseudocheilinops ataenia x3
- Macropharyngodon bipartitus
- Stonogobiops yasha
- Gobiodon acicularis

I plan to keep smaller fish but in numbers (pairs or trios) which is why I wasn’t too sure about going for a brittle/serpent but after reading more about the green being the only truly risky one I figured I could try one.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far he’s hidden under the rock where my Yasha calls home (the yasha doesn’t appear too happy about it). I have a blue star leopard in the tank who hasn’t shown much care towards him and he hasn’t shown much care towards the other fish in the tank.

I’m hoping in my tank it’s peaceful enough to have him not be harmed. So far all I have in terms of fish is;
- Pseudocheilinops ataenia x3
- Macropharyngodon bipartitus
- Stonogobiops yasha
- Gobiodon acicularis

I plan to keep smaller fish but in numbers (pairs or trios) which is why I wasn’t too sure about going for a brittle/serpent but after reading more about the green being the only truly risky one I figured I could try one.
I would guess some fish recognize him as a potential predator and will make adjustments. Nature has a way of balancing out and as long as he is getting a food source he won't go after small fish.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! I have a harlequin serpent and it is a model citizen also. Except for feeding time I almost never see it though. Mine is white with green.

Attachments

• 80131C9F-AAB2-43F4-9BA9-BAEEFBA8D59A.jpeg
    80131C9F-AAB2-43F4-9BA9-BAEEFBA8D59A.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 9F0D92C8-C48D-4664-B931-A84C10956310.jpeg
    9F0D92C8-C48D-4664-B931-A84C10956310.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 37

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s regrowing his little arm! Hopefully the little guy is okay. I’ve see stars without their arms or less arms at the fish store. It makes me sad because that’s not a good sign.
Are there a variety of things it could be a sign of? I ask because Id like to become better informed on starfish, and may be seeing missing arms at work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back