Buying colonies instead of frags. Maybe worth the gamble?

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought this comparison would be interesting to some. Here we have 2 photos from the originator of the WD Acropora Tenuis as well as one photo from a person who bought a frag of WD and is growing it out. Then for comparison I have included a photo of a small colony of acropora tenuis available at Live Aquaria.

Things that make you go "hmmmm"?

I know folks feel that a frag from a provider is a better known quantity, but what good is it if the frag looks absolutely nothing liked the perfect image you saw online?

WD1.jpeg
WD2.jpeg

e41672f16fd44a088d19f9b5f2972897.jpg

and here's a similar acropora tenuis colony for $129 from Live Aquaria where they describe it as purple tips, yellow polyps, and hints of green in the body:

WDtest.jpeg

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pick my frags or colonies per what tank I want to put them in. Colonies can sometimes be a gamble with acclimation. If you can handle that part. No reason not to get one.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria had a few bueatiful tenuis colonies this past week. Pink branches with purple/blue tips and neon green polyps and some other variants too. They sat for at least a day and some might still be there I didn’t look at them again.
The whole comparison you made with the photos is why I don’t buy from any of the high end vendors now. Before the Walt Disney and the blue light filtered pictures were an acceptable practice I didn’t mind buying from the high end vendors.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the ligjting man. Look at the high blues they use in their pics and your tank.. Looks nothing alike.

Lights change the color of the corals completetly

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought and grown many colonies. Considering the time for frags, colonies are way easier.

now....impossible to find incredible colonies we can afford if we can find in the crazy cool colors above!

my last 225 gal tank had at least 80 colonies, and just a skimmer and Ca reactor, and I had to break them off to make room. Some die.....ok, happens. Most do great.

I have no patience for frags though...my ADD. Lol.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know over the last month LA has been lit up on here for items not being as described. Maybe there making some adjustments to represent actual colorations.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another reason when im at local fieh stores i ask thrm to change their leds from the blue mess to a more pinkish.blue color because thats what my tank looks like.

That or i ask them to take the coral frag kut and move it ti a tank they have thats pinkisj.. this way i csn see the color itll be in my tank vs being pimped out in hardcore blue leds

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought this comparison would be interesting to some. Here we have 2 photos from the originator of the WD Acropora Tenuis as well as one photo from a person who bought a frag of WD and is growing it out. Then for comparison I have included a photo of a small colony of acropora tenuis available at Live Aquaria.

I know folks feel that a frag from a provider is a better known quantity, but what good is it if the frag looks absolutely nothing liked the perfect image you saw online?

WD1.jpeg
WD2.jpeg

and here's a similar acropora tenuis colony for $129 from Live Aquaria where they describe it as purple tips, yellow polyps, and hints of green in the body:

WDtest.jpeg
I love them all.

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WD1.jpeg
WD2.jpeg

WDtest.jpeg
Except that colony....that’s sad, but Cheap. LA quality.

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WD1.jpeg
WD2.jpeg

WDtest.jpeg
That middle picture is a FRAG! Wow.

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except that colony....that’s sad, but Cheap. LA quality.
No actually what's sad is your comment.

I bought that coral and I intend to photoshop it so it looks like a WD colony so I can show how stupid the hyped photoshopped trend is.

I do have some experience . . .

TyreePurpleMonster.jpg

Untitled.jpg

WD3.jpeg

DSCF7901.JPG

Zenith.jpg

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those LA colonies are a few weeks out of the ocean. You could get a mixed bag of health, coloration and everything. They are certainly risks. If you want to try one out, then go for it. Some will live, some will die... most will change colors as they get acclimated.

Frags are more like sure things.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No actually what's sad is your comment.

I bought that coral and I intend to photoshop it so it looks like a WD colony so I can show how stupid the hyped photoshopped trend is.

I do have some experience . . .

TyreePurpleMonster.jpg

Untitled.jpg

WD3.jpeg

DSCF7901.JPG

Zenith.jpg

Nice Purple Monster!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP is that your tank? where did you get that acro? that looks to be the real deal OG Tyree Purple Monster!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m interpreting the question in the thread correctly: do you take a risk buying a large colony based on the description of the colors (in this case a whole colony from LA describing colors as a WD) or do you buy a frag that’s looking a certain way under certain lights and when you get it, it looks nothing like the blue pics, and turns out like the LA description...

To each his own, sometimes worth the gamble.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought a couple colonies from LA. Had mixed success but I think that had more to do with me than the corals. They've always held color but getting them adjusted to tank life is my Achilles heel.

THIEN LE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing about buying colonies from LA is that they have guarantee on their corals, but I hate to see a beautiful colony dies in my tank. I'd say the survival chance is 30% or less base on my experience. If the coral makes it to 2nd week, a high chance that it'll grow well and show more colors, and some even show more colors than it's on LA's pics.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back