can I get a Red Soapfish? Tell me about this fish?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my LFS has a "red soap grouper", I did not pay it much attention as I don't plan on tearing down any walls in my house for a new aquarium. . . but I got bored and decided to look them up. . . turns out it is a red soapfish? There is not a ton of information on these but one sight I was looking at say they stay fairly small?

Anyway, tell me about this fish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my LFS has a "red soap grouper", I did not pay it much attention as I don't plan on tearing down any walls in my house for a new aquarium. . . but I got bored and decided to look them up. . . turns out it is a red soapfish? There is not a ton of information on these but one sight I was looking at say they stay fairly small?

Anyway, tell me about this fish.
Kinda sounds like a predator in name without looking Ill tag @lion king he likes oddball and preadaror fish, he might have info for you

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rare find so I would try and verify the identity, ask lfs for scientific and region if known. Common names can be misleading but both those do point to a smallest fish that would do best in something around 100-150g. They tend to be very shy and will likely require live food initially. Ghost shrimp is a good choice. If this is the fish ,only found one article related to this fish.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, that and one other article are all that I could find. Looking like they only get to about 4 inches? But if they truly need a tank that big there’s no way I could keep one. Anyway, if the Fish store still has it, maybe I’ll snap some pictures.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that and one other article are all that I could find. Looking like they only get to about 4 inches? But if they truly need a tank that big there’s no way I could keep one. Anyway, if the Fish store still has it, maybe I’ll snap some pictures.

If it is a grouper or related to a grouper, even with the small size fish like this do require a larger tank compared to their size. The reason is, even though they seem cryptic and shy, do cruise alot in darkest and through the rocks. They have been known to get stressed being confined in smaller tanks and not doing well.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I tried to get some pictures but it was hiding in the same spot as last time I went to the store. That said I am pretty confident the ID of Suttonia Suttoni is correct. Unfortunantly my tank is only 30 gallons so taking this guy home is not really an option. . . sad. . . but cool fish!

Last edited:

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a while. Thing was an inch long, hid in a dead acro skeleton most of the time (perching as groupers do). The species stays tiny (3inch max) and is relatively inactive, so it's a good candidate for something like 30 gallons with a lot of rockwork I'd say, but don't expect to see it too often. It eventually started eating mysis shrimp, after about a 2 week period, but I lost it when my QT crashed.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I was way off with the tank size but I have read about them getting stressed in tanks that are too small. People get the same misconceptions about the lions and scorps I keep. People will keep them in small tanks because they tend to perch and are seemingly not that active. This does tend to stress them and they don't do well. Transversely if you put them in a little larger tank, they become more active and thrive, liver much longer in captivity. I think another reason for the larger tank recommendation is the toxic mucus that's expelled due to stress, I'm not sure how this effects a smaller tank, I know with other toxic fish, a larger tank is always better. What size tank were you looking to put them in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I was way off with the tank size but I have read about them getting stressed in tanks that are too small. People get the same misconceptions about the lions and scorps I keep. People will keep them in small tanks because they tend to perch and are seemingly not that active. This does tend to stress them and they don't do well. Transversely if you put them in a little larger tank, they become more active and thrive, liver much longer in captivity. I think another reason for the larger tank recommendation is the toxic mucus that's expelled due to stress, I'm not sure how this effects a smaller tank, I know with other toxic fish, a larger tank is always better. What size tank were you looking to put them in.
I get that, small fish does not always equal small tank.

My display is only 29 gallons (with a sump). I was looking to remove my damsels and maybe replace them with something else (the mated pair are bullies). That said I still have a few other fish in there, a 6 line, cleaner goby, and a "pair" of pygmy wasps.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I couldn’t help myself. . . I watched this fish sit in the fish store, in about 10 gallons of water, for far too long I decided to give it shot. I can at least give it a better, bigger home for now, and rehome it if and when the time comes.

Had him for a little bit now, but hard to get pictures.

An incredibly secretive fish, often hiding in rocks with just its head or nose sticking out. Does not like to be watched but I did get it to eat off of tongs once.

IMG_0468.jpeg
IMG_0469.jpeg
IMG_0470.jpeg
IMG_0471.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t help myself. . . I watched this fish sit in the fish store, in about 10 gallons of water, for far too long I decided to give it shot. I can at least give it a better, bigger home for now, and rehome it if and when the time comes.

Had him for a little bit now, but hard to get pictures.

An incredibly secretive fish, often hiding in rocks with just its head or nose sticking out. Does not like to be watched but I did get it to eat off of tongs once.

IMG_0468.jpeg
IMG_0469.jpeg
IMG_0470.jpeg
IMG_0471.jpeg
He is cool! How long have you had him??

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks, maybe a month now. Really striking red color but almost never out, even when I sneak a peak after lights out.
Maybe when he is comforrable! Had my marine betta almost 7 months and I never saw him but now he hangs in a corner of the tank in the water and cones out for the occasional swim and doesnt run when I peek at him anymore! Maybe this fish will do that too hopefully! Never even seen a soap fish until now

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe when he is comforrable! Had my marine betta almost 7 months and I never saw him but now he hangs in a corner of the tank in the water and cones out for the occasional swim and doesnt run when I peek at him anymore! Maybe this fish will do that too hopefully! Never even seen a soap fish until now
I got him to eat of tongs again tonight, not to shy to do that haha!

Marine bettas are awesome by the way!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him to eat of tongs again tonight, not to shy to do that haha!

Marine bettas are awesome by the way!
Yeah! He has a presence for sure when he comes out. Very cool fish to have

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little dude is getting more comfortable eating off tongs, and doing so fairly aggressively. Feeding Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 (ran out of Prime Reef) and SFB Emerald Entrée if anyone is curious.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for the terrible videography, and the blues, was hard to feed and hold the camera at the same time. Not that it matters, but I will note that I normally feed much larger pieces of food, this was just at the end of feeding when I decided to try and get a picture/video and of course everyone wanted to fight over that tiny piece!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0572.mov
    24.6 MB
Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back