Carpet anemone mouth question

NinjaSeaTurtle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought and moved an established tank 5 days ago and I'm just a little concerned about the carpet anemone. I have internet knowledge of them but not real world experience. The first 24 hours he kind of layed extended on the sand bed before crawling over a rock and attaching to the under side. Has looked good the last 2 days but today his mouth looked a little different and I'm just wondering if this is something they do on occasion, is he still acclimating, or is there a possible problem. All my tests came back at zero for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite, ph is 8.2 the only thing I can think of is I hooked up my ATO last night and that might have dropped the salinity from 1.024 to 1.023. The temp has been between 75.5 and 77 the last 5 days. Thanks for any feed back
20200226_180151.jpg
20200226_180151.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone looks a little stressed, c/w recent move. Nothing you wrote above should cause any problem. Hopefully he will recover in a few days.
I see that you also have a nice Red Haddoni.Did you get both at the same time?. If the red on is doing fine, I would expect the green one recover also.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @OrionN (and he is much more knowledgeable than me). other than the mouth being slightly distended, it looks quite healthy. Mine do this when I make changes in the system. I upgraded my tank a few weeks back and 2 of my Haddoni transitioned well, but the third did NOT. It kept wandering and one day completely deflated, started severe mouth gaping, and finally detached. I touched it and it was not responsive and was not sticky at all, so I immediately removed it from the tank and moved it into QT and started dosing cipro. It is looking MUCH better now and is on day 5 of QT.

I think yours will recover., just keep an eye on it and if it pancakes, detaches, etc., then action may be required.

PS - I keep my SG@ 1.026

PPS - I WISH I could find a decent red or blue Haddoni, but they continue to elude me. :(

OP
OP
N

NinjaSeaTurtle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the tank came with both a red and green carpet along with a ritteri. Red seems to have handled the move the best and the ritteri's mouth is nice and tight except he hasn't found his "spot" yet. I didn't really want to jump right into anemones with such difficult specimens but if I wanted the tank I had to take the livestock as well. So here I am trying to gather as much info as possible.
20200227_104252.jpg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing that even though your tests show nothing out of the ordinary, the move may have a kicked up something that the haddoni didn't like. If could also just be a feeding response. I wouldn't be too concerned unless it lasts more than a few days.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back