Chalice, Do NOT Grow List...who has em'

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep

I used to have a crazy hot pink with green eye chalice that everyone wanted a frag of and that thing barely grew at all. And frags wouldn't do that great either. I finally sold the whole thing so I wouldn't be reminded of what a tease it was.

I think the echinophyllia aspera and echinophyllia patula tend to grow much faster than some of the others like echinophyllia orpheensis or echinophyllia echinoporides. Its also tough cause some of them like high light and others prefer lower lighting, so it can take awhile to find that perfect place before they start putting out new growth.

A friend of mine gets amazing growth on his echinos, whereas I can only get some to perform well in my current system.
I never had much luck in the past with oxyporas compared to echinophylla probably cause my lights were too strong.

watermelon.jpg

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting trouble again huh Mark? I do agree with this nonsense and if you pay attention closely, you will notice that most online retailers are overstocked with recent wild chalice colonies. looks like we will be going through another craze real soon.

Its definitely funny how things go in cycles. The market is so flooded with chalices as that is what the distributors know they can mark up the most.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ready for a new craze :D I'm not hating some of these Aussie Scoly's coming in, that's for sure :)

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rasta frag is growing alright, well at least I think so. I got 1 eye about 2 months ago. So far it has grown a new eye, the green rim has made it around the whole frag now, and the it has fluffed up to twice the size it was.

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true. I am glad that I am not the only person to feel the same way. I recently saw a beat up chalice on a website for $4500. I really hope they just accidentally put an extra zero on it :(
The whole thing is a joke and luckily I do not feel the need to support the prices which are taking us to the bank. I have no problem paying good money for corals I want, but within a certain reason. The whole lets chop it up and pawn it off before we can even see what it does is what has drove me away from a handful of vendors.
And no its not just the vendors, I have seen plenty of "so called hobbyist" try to sell some average pieces for more than top end proven pieces just to capitalize on the way the market is going.

I sure hope it changes, but its doubtful
U nailed it right on the head Mark..

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PPE chalice is a slow grower. My Flamethrower is slow. My Melting Pot is a REALLY slow grower, probably the slowest I have.
Dave

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to say the Tyree pink watermelon ad my peppermint chalices are the slowest growers for me so far.

brianbigoats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true. I am glad that I am not the only person to feel the same way. I recently saw a beat up chalice on a website for $4500. I really hope they just accidentally put an extra zero on it :(
The whole thing is a joke and luckily I do not feel the need to support the prices which are taking us to the bank. I have no problem paying good money for corals I want, but within a certain reason. The whole lets chop it up and pawn it off before we can even see what it does is what has drove me away from a handful of vendors.
And no its not just the vendors, I have seen plenty of "so called hobbyist" try to sell some average pieces for more than top end proven pieces just to capitalize on the way the market is going.

I sure hope it changes, but its doubtful

Amen Brother
if it changed it could put some vendor in a world of hurt :haha:

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting trouble again huh Mark? I do agree with this nonsense and if you pay attention closely, you will notice that most online retailers are overstocked with recent wild chalice colonies. looks like we will be going through another craze real soon.

i thought marks middle name was either doctor wet thumb or trouble. i have not decided which yet. maybee a poll will help this. :bigsmile:

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought marks middle name was either doctor wet thumb or trouble. i have not decided which yet. maybee a poll will help this. :bigsmile:

Actuallly, my middle name is Richard and you know how much trouble those guys are :xd:

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WWC Subzero Watermelon does not grow...... ITs the only chalice that has not grown at all in the 3 - 4 months I have had it. I have had 0 growth.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as my collection goes the Bazooka Joe, Flame Thrower, and Rasta are the slow growers. I have found that some chalices that look very similar (Tie Dye Chalice from a few years back, Buy The Reef Independence Day, and Donovans Firecracker chalice) seem to just slowly waste away. I believe the Peppermint Chalice is also the same growth form/looking type of chalice as these others. I have to wonder if there is something they need that our aquariums lack. I even am feeding these corals specifically, well, at least the Independence Day and the FireCracker and they still seem to be wasting away just like the Tie Dye chalice a few years ago. That thing was SICK...so awesome. I tried it twice with the same results and now these others that look so similar in colors and growth are doing the exact same thing.

REEFSLAIR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most of you with this craze of chalice influx. But from my experience, I think that certain things grow better in different tanks.
Chalices, I just started with them. (not the really expensive $350.00 toe nail clipping)
Go ahead you chalice sellers get mad, its true!
I started with decent great looking chalices. Some have done well and some not so well. So what do I do? I learn my water parameters. Feeding is another one for me. Being a chef I have the ability to create my own recipes. YES, I use lobster, calamari, shrimp, octopus, salmon roe, fresh broccoli, organic carrots,etc.. and add spirulina, brine eggs, kelp,cyclpo eeze and puree everything down.
Getting back to the Chalices, most of these sellers don't even have a colony that they have been growing for a while.(before anyone gets rawled up, remember and read, I said MOST not all) So they acquire these, yes beautiful chalices and frag them up 1/4",1/2" and sell them for high dollars. lol. ( one guy had a half inch puck claiming the frag was a 1" and it never was outside the diameter) But still found a buyer.Anyway I think that certain things just grow better in certain tanks due to their water parameters. Ask for info on their parameters next time you see or know someone that grows chalices and have good luck with them. Any humble aquarist will have no problem helping out. I did! and furtunate for me I always find good humble reef dudes. I am by far not a pro, but I am a pro on wanted to know more.
The point I was getting to is that even PPE's are slow growers for some people. For me they multiply like rabbits. WHy? I dunno. maybe they like the parameters or the tank. I still have no clue why they grow so fast. Friends in the same field have taken my water and tested it at their home to figure it out. but they claim they have just the same parameters or better. (trying to get a Purple Hornet but refuse to pay 250 > for 1 polyp) I'll wait till I know someone and wouldn't mind lending me one and take it from there. Now if you are thinking what about equipment? well if you are here talking about expensive chalices then I am assuming we all have the same BS equipment. maybe someone has bigger equipment and some smaller, but in the end we all know CR, Skimmer, MH, Kelvin, Actinics, Phos removers,chillers even to the point of 420Nm-435Nm LED's trying to replicate the moon light. BUt can we replicate the gravity pull of the moon? No. and doesn't anyone think this has an effect on even the night feeders. of Course. Yes Led's are beautiful and make the colors POP! I too have them. 450 total to be exact. (2) 225 led panels) at 460 Nm.
SO for all the newbies out there don't go off your rockers dumpping hundreds of dollars into these radical Kewl looking chalices unless you know your water....
Love you all.
Cordially,
CrazyCohiba.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love the group of ppl that always complain about high coral prices. When acans became popular ppl complained about the prices, then micromussa, then purple hornets, etc, etc. The market sets the price and it always has.
I used to have a kick butt chalice collection a few years back, all kinds of rare morphs that I wish I had now. I could barely even give the frags away back then, now everyone is into chalices and they go for sky high prices. I figure thats what ppl get for not appreciating what a nice coral echinos are before. lol

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail the thread but instead of buying miniscule frags that waste away, look for sellers that sell whole colonies. :wink:

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail the thread but instead of buying miniscule frags that waste away, look for sellers that sell whole colonies. :wink:

I agree, but the problem is... it's hard to find and VERY expensive to buy colonies of the nice ones. Even the old school ones. I was lucky enough to get a few colonies awhile back for good prices, but that was a one-in-a-million deal I stumbled on.

REEFSLAIR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, but the problem is... it's hard to find and VERY expensive to buy colonies of the nice ones. Even the old school ones. I was lucky enough to get a few colonies awhile back for good prices, but that was a one-in-a-million deal I stumbled on.
I couldn't agree more.(quoting both of you) But there out there.
This is a starry night I picked up for 80.00 - 6x5
PIC_0031.jpg

this is a lava 3.5x3-60.00
PIC_0033.jpg

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to the right sources you can get very nice whole colonies. We get the same pieces that half the vendors here are hyping with a name, some crazy lighting and/or fancy photography but chop it up to the size of a pencil eraser.

It's not like there is one hole that has the gems of the ocean and the best colors.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 41 39.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back