Clams and Purple Short Spine Pincushion Urchin

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Purple Short Spine Pincushion Urchin for free from LFS as a token of a long good customer with them :) they told me it's a tuxedo urchin but I doubt that and do some research I found it's exactly same like this one from Liveaquaria
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...-pincushion-urchin?pcatid=2912&c=497+530+2912
And their spec sheet listed "Reef Compatible: With Caution"
Purple Urchin.jpg

I'm quite paranoia with their words "With Caution" so Is it clams safe?

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of them eating clams. They eat algae. The main concern is bulldozing rocks and they like to carry stuff for camouflage.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I woke up early and check my tank and took this picture with a flash light.
Urchin.jpg

Coincidence that it's just like to sit on top of my clam?
This guys really got it ticket out of my tank unless someone give me a good reason to keep it.

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove it yuki. Even if it's not deliberately hurting the clam I still would not risk those beautiful clams to an urchin. Also, for every few reefers that report that they never had an "issue" with that urchin there will be one reefer who has. Don't be the one with that amazing clam collection you have.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to love the lfs. They really are a blessing especially when you get freebies for being loyal.

How did the clam do? I’m looking at an urchin. How’s it doing at your sister.

Lainny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....just wanted to add my two cents about my urchin climbing on my clam....I freaked out at first...and then I saw it moving around the outside where there is Hair algae growing. I notice that when my clams starts to get some algae on it it starts to hold back opening all the way....almost as if it has pitched Mantel disease. So I'm hoping by my Urchin keeping it clean it will want to open its entire Mantel. Another thing I noticed which I didn't think was possible....but when the urchin was sitting more to the left top of it at one point....my clam opened just his right side and left the mantel in on the right. It was weird to see that. Anyway....It's a pincushion Urchin

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back