Coral similar in nature to a Pulsing Xenia?

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a soft coral similar in nature to the Pulsing Xenia that isn't as pest like? Something that doesn't take over a tank but has as much or close to the same movement?

I'm still working on my stock list. I really like the Xenia, but I'm not willing to deal with its explosive growth potential.

Bowlopho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep it on a seperate rock or glue to your back wall corner away from everything. When it gets to big, trim it down

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people say all the time to isolate it and it's fine, but let me tell you that I had it pop up on the opposite side of the tank.

Green star polyps are easier to isolate in my experience and give you movement. The red goniopora is nice too, look for a frag from a reefer that has had it growing successfully for a while. Most goniopora is hard to keep but there is a certain red one people seem to have success with.
The euphyllia species, like frogspawn, will also give nice movement

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...The euphyllia species, like frogspawn, will also give nice movement

This would have been my suggestion. Frogspawn, hammer or even a torch (just give it some room) I have found relatively easy with good movement.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people say all the time to isolate it and it's fine, but let me tell you that I had it pop up on the opposite side of the tank.

Green star polyps are easier to isolate in my experience and give you movement. The red goniopora is nice too, look for a frag from a reefer that has had it growing successfully for a while. Most goniopora is hard to keep but there is a certain red one people seem to have success with.
The euphyllia species, like frogspawn, will also give nice movement

Just looked up the red goniopora. I think I'm quite the fan! Also a fan of the green star. I think I'll try to put them in. Thank you!

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would have been my suggestion. Frogspawn, hammer or even a torch (just give it some room) I have found relatively easy with good movement.

I'm a fan of all three.

With a Torch, how much space do they typically need?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonipora are quite difficult.

And imo. Xenia are not that bad. Keep an eye on them.
Jus sayin it's a coral that moves all day long.

And everyone has a horror story about EVERYTHING .

IMO gsp is far worse.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonipora are quite difficult.

And imo. Xenia are not that bad. Keep an eye on them.
Jus sayin it's a coral that moves all day long.

And everyone has a horror story about EVERYTHING .

IMO gsp is far worse.

Reading up on Gonipora I might have to wait quite some time before I'm willing to take it on.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of the way that Red Gonipora looks... I might have to read all I can on it. It's on my short list of favorite corals. Pavona being another of my favorites.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of the way that Red Gonipora looks... I might have to read all I can on it. It's on my short list of favorite corals. Pavona being another of my favorites.
IMO. That's the way to do it. Find the corals you most like. And make the tank ready for them as best you can. You'll keep tuning and tweaking it. But its reefing so we always will. Lol.
But if you find a fave then see what else goes with it. I reccomend doing the same thing with fish.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO. That's the way to do it. Find the corals you most like. And make the tank ready for them as best you can. You'll keep tuning and tweaking it. But its reefing so we always will. Lol.
But if you find a fave then see what else goes with it. I reccomend doing the same thing with fish.

Amazingly, my favorite fish happen to be mostly utility fish! Sixline wrasse, Foxface, Orange Spot Goby, Lawnmower Blenny, maybe a Springer Damsel...

Eventually I will acquire a Green Mandarin. Gotta get those pods up in great numbers!

I'm a huge fan of Pavona Coral and Torches. I need to learn more before I pull the trigger on them.

Plus I haven't completed my tank yet. I've got all the parts aside from glass for baffles in my sump, filter sock holder and socks and a skimmer.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good ya have a plan. And yea learning in reefing is really a lot about shopping. Lol. "Research". Looking at coral and tanks.

Good luck on the build.

p@blo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is none invasive xenia. The Giant Bali Pom Pom grows in a single stalk without taking over.
64fb48d8b82a092ffa1146eeee3892fb.jpg

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipe organ corals have a very similar look minus the pulsing. If you powerhead can pulse you will get a pleasing look from these corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back