Corky Sea Finger Gorgonian issues

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love advice on this if anyone has experience with these sea finger gorgonians (i know not technically LPS but theres no gorg forum) - my corky finger gorgs just seem to get skinnier and skinnier.

This guy has been retracted for last couple of days, but was fine and full of polyps 2 days ago. Every other coral in the tank is doing great, and I thought these guys were supposed to grow like weeds. Any idea what might be happening? I ended up trimming down the one right beside it because it seemed he was losing a bit of flesh but not completely necrotic, just kind of a thinning/whitening scenario which seems to be happening to this guy now too.

Tank parameters are all stable - 25-30ppm nitrates, 1.025 salinity, calcium, mag, alk, ph all in good ranges.

99CC901A-838B-4546-91DA-69C69977A3C1.jpeg
91EB1677-6A3D-4E0A-B922-680B230ACF7B.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention this. I added a corky gorgonian a few weeks ago and I'm having the same issues. I've tried it in just about every spot imaginable in my tank. Low light, high light, low flow, high flow.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I caught my tangs and angels nipping at the polyps - which might explain why it's out some days and less on others.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs and angels nipping at it is really gonna be tuff to beat.
Lol.
My chunk of corky finger I placed center tank very bottom. Almost no flow but med to high light on the bottom.
It polyp'd out the best their.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good possibility from @blaxson. Also do you consider your tank “sterile”? Gorgs have twice the polyps of many corals (I have 2) they feeding constantly. Maybe bumping up the feeding a bit

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs and angels nipping at it is really gonna be tuff to beat.
Lol.
My chunk of corky finger I placed center tank very bottom. Almost no flow but med to high light on the bottom.
It polyp'd out the best their.
That's where I moved mine and it did awesome for a few days. Then it retracted all the polyps without explanation. So I moved it over a foot and an hour later caught the tang, parrotfish and my two dwarf angels pecking at it (more curiosity than anything else I think).

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I moved mine and it did awesome for a few days. Then it retracted all the polyps without explanation. So I moved it over a foot and an hour later caught the tang, parrotfish and my two dwarf angels pecking at it (more curiosity than anything else I think).
Mine is back out now - I think he was in a shedding episode - I blasted him with a pipette and a ton of skin shedded off of him and he was out and about right after. This is pretty common in the year I’ve had ‘em, but it’s super odd they went from being fairly fat to much skinnier, not sure why that is but they’re still kicking

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is back out now - I think he was in a shedding episode - I blasted him with a pipette and a ton of skin shedded off of him and he was out and about right after. This is pretty common in the year I’ve had ‘em, but it’s super odd they went from being fairly fat to much skinnier, not sure why that is but they’re still kicking
I think mine is possibly toast (hasn't been out very much and it's still being picked on). I have a smaller one that actually encrusted a snail shell from the original colony and it seems to be doing better than the larger one.

It's something I always wanted to try in my tank but I probably wouldn't get another gorgonian.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about a dozen different gorgs in one of my tanks. Even though they are photosynthetic, they do well with being fed. Every day, I throw in a frozen cube of coral food or rotifers. The polyps will close when they catch food. What they do detest is being too close to soft corals. A Sinularia grew too big and got too close to one of the gorgs. The closest polyps died and I had to move the gorg.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mine is possibly toast (hasn't been out very much and it's still being picked on). I have a smaller one that actually encrusted a snail shell from the original colony and it seems to be doing better than the larger one.

It's something I always wanted to try in my tank but I probably wouldn't get another gorgonian.
I’ve had mine retract for a week or so and still come out okay - I dont think anything picking at a corky will kill it. They are still fine as long as you aren’t seeing tissue loss exposing the skeleton.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increased my PAR and moved it around. "Corky" came out today.
This is what you don’t want to see - it was my first time using coral glue and I botched it by getting it everywhere, also was way underlit as I was learning the light intensity the hard way - spread like that super quick. Ended up cutting each one right above where the good flesh meets the bad and didn’t happen again.

Now that I’ve spent a year with these corky’s - the impression I get is it is seemingly more important that they establish a health encrusting at their base in order to send up healthy shoots if that makes sense. Keep the specimen happy and don’t be afraid to cut off areas that start not looking so hot.

CD822F62-5F75-405D-8B5F-C86333EDF168.jpeg

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty. This system has been running since July of 20. Red Sea xl300. Factory sump w redsea300 skimmer 2x Nero 5 for flow and 2 x Xr15 g5 pros for light. No automation.
I have dreams of a bigger tank but need a house first, right now just rocking the Red Sea Max Nano in an apartment, just passing the year mark now. Been a good system to learn the hobby quick for sure, these Red Sea tanks are like art.

F8306566-B892-4024-8247-B717B4499C0B.jpeg

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have dreams of a bigger tank but need a house first, right now just rocking the Red Sea Max Nano in an apartment, just passing the year mark now. Been a good system to learn the hobby quick for sure, these Red Sea tanks are like art.

F8306566-B892-4024-8247-B717B4499C0B.jpeg
Great job. Moving in the right direction. Good to see how the tank revolves as you learn and gain confidence. Always learning.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what you don’t want to see - it was my first time using coral glue and I botched it by getting it everywhere, also was way underlit as I was learning the light intensity the hard way - spread like that super quick. Ended up cutting each one right above where the good flesh meets the bad and didn’t happen again.

Now that I’ve spent a year with these corky’s - the impression I get is it is seemingly more important that they establish a health encrusting at their base in order to send up healthy shoots if that makes sense. Keep the specimen happy and don’t be afraid to cut off areas that start not looking so hot.

CD822F62-5F75-405D-8B5F-C86333EDF168.jpeg
Wire strippers.
Remove the bottom flesh with wire strippers and glue the hard stem in a hole. Be careful not to get any glue on the flesh.
Works every time.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back