Diamond goby redness around the jaw

1MCp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what might be happening? He is sifting much less than usual, looks like laboured breathing a bit. He ate a bit about an hour ago and is now in his cave.

0 ammonia
20 nitrate
0 nitrite
8.3 ph

Tank is a year old and goby has been with me 10 months.

Any help is appreciated!
6ec87193557aa7147590913b281a5bc0.jpg

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have bumped into something hard if startled. Possible bacteria infection. Are you able to quarantine and treat with antibiotics?

OP
OP
1MCp

1MCp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have bumped into something hard if startled. Possible bacteria infection. Are you able to quarantine and treat with antibiotics?
I do have a ten gallon qt tank, but few things are he is still very highly mobile. I would have to move all the rocks with the corals which is near impossible. It could have been the hawkfish that was recently added, the Goby seems to have been flexing and now this. I have traded the hawkfosh for some corals today. Would it be too much of a gamble to see overnight if he heals?

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand. You could watch him for a few days and see if he recovers on his own. Alternatively, bind an antibiotic with Focus in his food.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1MCp

1MCp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand. You could watch him for a few days and see if he recovers on his own. Alternatively, bind an antibiotic with Fucus in his food.
I'll give that a try thanks so much for the info. Web surfing turned up very little for me. But I did find one thread somewhere where they had the same exact picture of the same species where he recovered the next morning and someone suspected what you have mentioned Blunt force trauma. I'll keep a watch on him for sure.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a wealth of info in the fish disease, diagnosis and treatment forum. Lots of expert help there too.

OP
OP
1MCp

1MCp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a wealth of info in the fish disease, diagnosis and treatment forum. Lots of expert help there too.
I'll be sure to check it out thank you!

OP
OP
1MCp

1MCp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the Goby is healing up, it's darting around as usual sifting almost at regular amounts and the redness seemed to have subsided a bit. Thanks for the input @Smo

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back