Fiji Yellow Leather aka Sarcophyton Elegans.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef2reeffigii.jpg

Sarcophyton Elegans

Appearance: This wonderful soft coral is native to the Indo-Pacific (as the name implies). The coral's striking yellow coloration and frilled appearance differentiate it from the more common Sacrophytons such as Toadstools. Polyps are small and compact, the base is squat unlike the Toadstools which grows taller with a trunk like base. Like the other Sarcophytons this coral can grow very large and will eventually need a lot of space. In the wild the coral can be found on reef faces and crest in clear water and strong currents.

Care: With regard to husbandry Sacrophyton Elegans is more difficult than other Sacrophyton types. Intense lighting is required to maintain the yellow coloration. The coral will do better mid tank level directly under a fixture. Fiji leather appreciates mod to higher flow levels. Routine water changes are recommended to replace trace elements such as iodine an strontium. It's my experience that water temp 78-82 F is optimal, if the temperature of tank climbs above 82 F the coral often closes.

Fragging and Reproduction: Reproductive means include budding, spawning and lateral fission. Unfortunately this Sarcophyton is not as readily propagated as most leathers are. I have done it with success but other have reported that the manipulation was too stressful and the coral eventually succumbs to bacterial infections. It's recommended not to frag this coral within in the display secondary possible adverse reactions by other coral from the fluids released from Sarcophyton.

Considerations: Of note, this Sarcophyton is reported to release higher levels of terpenes, a chemical toxin that the Sarcophyton produces to keep neighboring corals at bay, chemical warfare. I have thus not had an issue but I do run charcoal and perform routine water changes.

facebookaug9thsss.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! I used to own one and have a special place in my heart for them!

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This Coral is the whole reason I started a Reef Tank ..(Well and Clownfish ;))

It is one I had to have as well when starting out. I may add me one again in the new big tank!

Lifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love em! It's funny I have two other Sacrophyton types (brown and green) and they hardly open and my yellow is always open!

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any care keeping tips you can suggest? Definitely adding one of these to my set up. Maybe both set ups

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've grown to really like this guy too, have had one for about a year and a half now and easily doubled in size and left it quite a bit of room to grow. Only thing I would add is once you place em, leave it be. They don't like to be moved around once they get use to their spot. I'll try to remember to snap a pic of mine tomorrow when the lights are on.

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent half of July laid out flat on the surface above 100s of these in Fiji. I could have died right then and there a happy man. Alas, there is no room in my tank for one. Soooo.... Time for another tank?

That sounds like heaven.

Any care keeping tips you can suggest? Definitely adding one of these to my set up. Maybe both set ups

Intense light, higher flow but not direct, routine water changes. Give the coral ample time to acclimate before manipulating. :)

I've grown to really like this guy too, have had one for about a year and a half now and easily doubled in size and left it quite a bit of room to grow. Only thing I would add is once you place em, leave it be. They don't like to be moved around once they get use to their spot. I'll try to remember to snap a pic of mine tomorrow when the lights are on.

Great I will love to see an image and your absolutely right, they like other Sarcophytons do not like to be moved around.

How do you maintain the color? Some seem to brown out

Give it a lot of light. :)

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are harder to frag (frags die if not handled by experience reefers) compared to the toad stool that we often call Tyree neon green toad stool. They often lose the bright neon yellow color compared to the ones in the wild. Polyps are not open wide like the picture (At least in my case; they are unhappy all the time for no obvious reason)

Last but not least, frags are not "sellable" at least in so CA. :-(

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love these. I have a white toadstool and a green finger, and I have wanted one of these for a while. It would go great in my leather, gorg and nem tank. Just need to find one. Yours is a beaut!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write-up, thanks! beautiful coral, one of those I hope to get in my tank again.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my favorite corals of all time, I think I've had one in all of my tanks over twelve years!

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the pic of mine, pic looks a bit more washed out than it actually is, but it's definitely not as deep yellow as OPs pics show. Pay no mind to the aiptasia rebel left over from the aiptasian conflict, I have contacted the proper authorities and a kalk-reaction force is enroute.

EDIT: Did a little editing on the pic so it doesn't look so washed out.
fijileather-cc_zpsgr7umkqq.jpg

A question though on reproduction. Do these split heads, or will it form a new one from the foot? Reason I ask is the foot is continuing to grow up the rock it's on but the trunk on this one has stopped getting wider with it. Couldn't find a good angle to get a pic of it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are harder to frag (frags die if not handled by experience reefers) compared to the toad stool that we often call Tyree neon green toad stool. They often lose the bright neon yellow color compared to the ones in the wild. Polyps are not open wide like the picture (At least in my case; they are unhappy all the time for no obvious reason)

Last but not least, frags are not "sellable" at least in so CA. :-(

Yes they are harder to frag, and listed as moderately difficult by most. I have never had one lose coloration and I have had 5 over the years. Those are my images.

Love these. I have a white toadstool and a green finger, and I have wanted one of these for a while. It would go great in my leather, gorg and nem tank. Just need to find one. Yours is a beaut!

Thank you so much. :)

Great write-up, thanks! beautiful coral, one of those I hope to get in my tank again.

Thanks. :D:D

This is one of my favorite corals of all time, I think I've had one in all of my tanks over twelve years!

Did yours maintain the coloration? Mine always have.

Here's the pic of mine, pic looks a bit more washed out than it actually is, but it's definitely not as deep yellow as OPs pics show. Pay no mind to the aiptasia rebel left over from the aiptasian conflict, I have contacted the proper authorities and a kalk-reaction force is enroute.

EDIT: Did a little editing on the pic so it doesn't look so washed out.
fijileather-cc_zpsgr7umkqq.jpg

A question though on reproduction. Do these split heads, or will it form a new one from the foot? Reason I ask is the foot is continuing to grow up the rock it's on but the trunk on this one has stopped getting wider with it. Couldn't find a good angle to get a pic of it

I have fragged off a slice of the cap and it worked but I think I got lucky. Splitting from the cap or steam has been the most common means of reproduction for me.

You can see in this image from 1997, I have both a frag and the large colony splitting as well.

oldtanks11.jpg

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back