Frogspawn Receding Tissue

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone -
Recently I have been noticicing my frogspawn and now NYC knicks torch are retracting and the frogspawn has tissue lose. I tested all of my parameters and they are:
Alk- 8.4
Phos 0.05
Calc 450
Salinity 1.025
Nitrates 20
Mg 1400
I am not sure why this is happening and if I should try dipping in coral Rx or moving the coral? They have been in the tank for about 9 months. IMG_6624.jpg IMG_6625.jpg IMG_6626.jpg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to know why. Good to test and your numbers look fine but that is just a snap shot and doesn't show swings over time. Always a good plan to do a big water change when something like this is going on. Maybe something else in the water.. You looked carefully for any kind of flatworms or other pests that could be an issue?

I don't like the look of the tissue where it is receding. I think I would be more inclined to suspect some sort of bacterial issue.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dip in iodide if anything, unless you suspect pests. Disturbing the coral will stress them more, so if you suspect a bacterial infection, iodide; pests, use a good insecticide dip - Bayer would be my choice.

Are there any leathers or mushrooms in the tank? They can cause issues with LPS if they are too close... Coral warfare is real, lol. Water change and possibly run carbon if you suspect this or other contaminants.

Two other possibilities - light and flow. Do you have T5s? If so, the bulbs may need to be changed. Any other recent lighting changes (in the last 4-6 weeks) could cause a delayed response. Similarly If you changed flow (even cleaning powerheads) recently, that could be the cause.

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't really changed anything I have two AI prime HD. I dipped it because the coral supplier said it might be flatworms but nothing came off. I moved it after the dip to a lower flow area and I am going to hopefully let it heal and recover. I do not have mushrooms or leather but I run carbon 24/7. I also did a water change so hopefully it recovers? Is this healable?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't really changed anything I have two AI prime HD. I dipped it because the coral supplier said it might be flatworms but nothing came off. I moved it after the dip to a lower flow area and I am going to hopefully let it heal and recover. I do not have mushrooms or leather but I run carbon 24/7. I also did a water change so hopefully it recovers? Is this healable?
Whether or not it will recover is really hard to predict. These types of coral often seem fine until one day they're... not. And a lot of times, what we see is a delayed reaction from something that happened several weeks prior.

Good luck :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back