Green Crown Leather Help Please

DianaDoesDallas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! We have a Green Crown Leather that we aren't having much luck with and we're hoping for some suggestions. It has been in the tank for about 2 months now. Our tank is a stable 50 gallon aquarium with Ammonia zero, Phosphates zero, Nitrites zero, Nitrate trace. Lighting Kessil 160. Tankmates coral wise include: frogspawn, hammer, Xenia, zoas, palys, mushrooms and gsp that are all thriving plus 5 small fish that ignore the leather. We have moved our leather to different locations high and low. It's never been within reach of the hammer, frogspawn or palys. The flow is excellent...We feed phytoplankton, brine and mysis. What else can we do? Pic below..

20170808_071324.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it be and do not move the coral. Sacrophytons do not like to be moved or handled and can takes weeks to show polyp extension. Moderately high flow assist in riding them of their waxy coating.

esloan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife made the original post but I wanted to add that the problem we are having is absolutely no polyp extension at all. The surface of the leather just looks smooth. No sign of dying, no bleaching at all. Just refuses to extend polyps at all.

Right now our tanks has carbon, some purigen and some Phosguard in the sump. Also have a skimmer and filter socks that we change regularly. We have chaeto in the refugium and a healthy supply of pods. I use Algae Barns phytoplankton every day, mostly to feed the pods. I'm not using any food specifically for the coral, except for some Microvert occasionally.

Any help or advice here would be great.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it be and do not move the coral. Sacrophytons do not like to be moved or handled and can takes weeks to show polyp extension. Moderately high flow assist in riding them of their waxy coating.

I understand why you guys are concerned but I second Tahoe.
As long as it isn't shriveled up it's fine. They all move at their own pace when adjusting, and if you keep moving it to different locations like you said you are, it can't adjust at all

OP
OP
DianaDoesDallas

DianaDoesDallas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand why you guys are concerned but I second Tahoe.
As long as it isn't shriveled up it's fine. They all move at their own pace when adjusting, and if you keep moving it to different locations like you said you are, it can't adjust at all
Thank you. We will leave it right where it is then and remain hopeful.

Cubanito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hola que puede ser esto

translation:
Hi, what could this be?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cubanito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hola está soltando los hijos es normal y está con mancha blanca

translation:
Hello, he is releasing little ones, it is normal and it has a white spot

09F63625-91B9-432E-84B0-6620E85A2D6C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back