Green finger leather dying

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from a week long vacation and found this.... my green finger leather is falling apart with black stuff growing on it eating into the tissues pieces have already fell off and are laying in the bottoms of the tank. What now? Cut off the dead parts and re-frag maybe?
27A6ED2E-3F1D-42A1-B7F5-18FC8003979A.jpeg
AF8F2399-5568-4F0A-A6CC-566AA7105D05.jpeg
C2065504-2925-4CBC-8BBF-D3E3914FC021.jpeg

Here’s the longer story. This had been growing great up until about a month ago when I did a large water change. I had noticed other times that when I do water changes the coral takes a week or two to open up again. Probably because it spends some time out of water each time o do a water change. Well I did a water change 1/17 and ever since it has looked kinda shriveled up, but no tissue loss. A week ago when I was leaving for vacation I noticed a brown spot on the base, kinda looked like aglae, didn’t have time to take care of it before I left. Today I got back to the nightmare pictured above. For reference below is what the coral looked like in January before my last water change. It was thriving. So sad with its current state but with it being such a fast grower I’m hoping I can bring some of it back. Any advise is appreciated. Not sure if I can peroxide dip this type of coral or not?
ED9A44BA-1528-4764-AA62-38419F39998B.png

OP
OP
TheKyle

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Could really use some advise. I’m in uncharted territory here. Only thing I accomplished so far is change all my carbon out. Everything else in that tank is doing well but read these coral can release some nasty toxins that bother sps so I wanted to be safe.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue, but not quite as bad as yours.. mine was dark brown in the middle of its trunk, I cut the coral above the dark stuff and it healed up okay.. yours looks pretty advanced, so it looks like you’d have to cut it into many frags.. if you go that route, take the new frags and use a loose rubber band and rubber band them to piece of rock rubble.. before doing anything, let’s wait for some replies, maybe there’s a better treatment..

OP
OP
TheKyle

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue, but not quite as bad as yours.. mine was dark brown in the middle of its trunk, I cut the coral above the dark stuff and it healed up okay.. yours looks pretty advanced, so it looks like you’d have to cut it into many frags.. if you go that route, take the new frags and use a loose rubber band and rubber band them to piece of rock rubble.. before doing anything, let’s wait for some replies, maybe there’s a better treatment..

Thanks for the reply and tips. Yea I was also thinking fragging is probably only way to save some of it.

OP
OP
TheKyle

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After getting a better look at some of the branches that fell to the bottom glass they actually look pretty healthy. Like the coral successfully fragged itself lol. No evidence of continued tissue loss on those. I guess if I can’t save the colony as a whole at least I have that going for me.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After getting a better look at some of the branches that fell to the bottom glass they actually look pretty healthy. Like the coral successfully fragged itself lol. No evidence of continued tissue loss on those. I guess if I can’t save the colony as a whole at least I have that going for me.
What was the out come

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back