Hairy Mushroom - too prolific?

DiaTom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering a neon green hairy mushroom for my new mushroom tank. Are they too prolific? Will they spread too fast and cause issues for the other mushrooms?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering a neon green hairy mushroom for my new mushroom tank. Are they too prolific? Will they spread too fast and cause issues for the other mushrooms?
Keeping them on a separate rock or pieces will probably be your best bet for keeping them under control. I bought 1 several months ago and still have 1 despite my Ironman, Superman, blue, Rhodactis, and a few other discosoma shrooms dropping plenty of babies. I don’t know if it’s my water or what but I can’t seem to get more of them!

ImGoingCoastal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few in my tank, I love them. They don't grow quickly. I'd say, like with most mushrooms, isolate them to a rock you can remove. I've seen too many people trying to get rid of some common mushrooms because they spread everywhere. Sidenote, mushrooms tend to be difficult to eliminate once established, in case you didn't know that already.

OP
OP
DiaTom

DiaTom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping them on a separate rock or pieces will probably be your best bet for keeping them under control. I bought 1 several months ago and still have 1 despite my Ironman, Superman, blue, Rhodactis, and a few other discosoma shrooms dropping plenty of babies. I don’t know if it’s my water or what but I can’t seem to get more of them!

That's interesting. I have some other cool mushrooms and would hate to have them stifled. Where did you place it in your tank? Lighting? Flow? Thanks.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. I have some other cool mushrooms and would hate to have them stifled. Where did you place it in your tank? Lighting? Flow? Thanks.
Bottom of the tank, low flow. Same as my other mushies. Under AI Prime HD on a pretty intense lighting cycle but the other shrooms do great and this one is always very open and happy looking, just refuses to drop babies. It has gotten much bigger since I got it though!

OP
OP
DiaTom

DiaTom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few in my tank, I love them. They don't grow quickly. I'd say, like with most mushrooms, isolate them to a rock you can remove. I've seen too many people trying to get rid of some common mushrooms because they spread everywhere. Sidenote, mushrooms tend to be difficult to eliminate once established, in case you didn't know that already.

The whole tank is mushrooms and nems with no isolated rocks. So I'm all in if I go for it. Maybe I'll wait on this one so my other mushrooms don't get out-competed for space. Thanks.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole tank is mushrooms and nems with no isolated rocks. So I'm all in if I go for it. Maybe I'll wait on this one so my other mushrooms don't get out-competed for space. Thanks.
Just place them on some rubble. This way you can remove them as needed and they’re already on the perfect frag plug to be resold so you don’t have to deal with getting loose shrooms to attach. I love this method and use it often with my shrooms and xenia

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After tons of research and finding same results in my own system.
You can keep same species close and will even grow together without issues.
If you can segregate, and/or move other species around in system, keeping distance, minimum a few inches to own spot. They will still prosper.

ImGoingCoastal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shrooms have gotten larger more so than they have spread. I think I started with 1 a year and a half ago and now have 6? Ime they don't spread fast and are awesome! My clowns are hosting in them.

ABB3EC0C-06BC-4F81-BDFE-B16929E6BA1E.jpeg 6EE26FB8-037F-40EB-BD4C-AF2B3C109716.jpeg

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one split within a month of getting it. They are some of my favorite corals in my tank. I bought 2 on frag plugs at the same time. The other hasn’t split yet but they both have gotten huge.
08146A55-75BB-46CD-A9AF-E8067C68C662.jpeg

EB7B8A9A-D9E0-4068-B5EC-CCF171C1EE9C.jpeg

OP
OP
DiaTom

DiaTom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much light and flow are you all keeping yours in?

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much light and flow are you all keeping yours in?
Mine are in medium flow and about 6” below the water line. Mostly under blues. I only run my white lights for 2 1/2 hrs a day. It’s a small tank ( Evo 13.5 ) with a Hyper Reef 30w suspended 8” above the waterline. Lights start to ramp up at 5:00am and ramp down at 8:00pm

OP
OP
DiaTom

DiaTom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a frag with 3 neon green hairy mushrooms today. I'll update on how they do.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one split within a month of getting it. They are some of my favorite corals in my tank. I bought 2 on frag plugs at the same time. The other hasn’t split yet but they both have gotten huge.
08146A55-75BB-46CD-A9AF-E8067C68C662.jpeg

EB7B8A9A-D9E0-4068-B5EC-CCF171C1EE9C.jpeg
What is the name of this one?

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these can become real pests as they can easily spread in your tank and they are quite invasive and don't play well with other corals. I'd highly recommend not adding these to your tank - i'm about to eradicate mine this weekend - which will take hours and lots of new live rock to do it.
fish2.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back