Half & Half Wrasse Info?

Todd A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning to all,
About 2 weeks ago a co-worker purchased a Half & Half Wrasse for our 150gal office DT and I just can't seem to find any detailed (or seemingly accurate) information on its care or husbandry. The few sites I've have found with info on this type varies greatly; most stating care level is difficult to expert only, but some saying intermediate; some site says it can grow 12", some 20" and one even stated 34"+!! I'm happy to say that this one is doing great, currently in a 20gal QT (at approx. 2" - 2-1/2").
But I'd really like someone's or anyone's experience or knowledge on this particular fish, so please feel free to throw in your two cents. Sorry about the pic quality but it's still a little shy and wants to hide when I get too close.
Wrasse.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hemigymnus melapterus

Max recorded length is 14.5", and it's estimated they may reach 18".

Feeds mainly on small invertebrates, especially crustaceans, polychaete worms, mollusks and brittle stars
Diet changing from primarily demersal planktonic crustaceans to hard-shelled invertebrates with growth

Therefore, probably best suited for a fish-only setup.

OP
OP
Todd A.

Todd A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info, thanks.
And the tank is FOWLR, so until it gets large enough to start eating something as large as Peppermint shrimp I think we're good.
Hopefully it will be many years before it out grows the 150DT.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does grow to be pretty massive. A 150 likely won't be large enough, years down the road.

Check it out next to an adult Halichoeres hortulanus (which itself is likely around 8").
Hemigymnus_melapterus_3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Todd A.

Todd A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does grow to be pretty massive. A 150 likely won't be large enough, years down the road.
Yeah, we're looking into a 240gal, but that will be a couple of years out so hopefully it's a slow grower.
Any idea of how long it will take for it to reach adulthood, or basically; how long to I have before it's too large for our current DT?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an incredibly slow growing fish. They will eat inverts, but beyond that are very peaceful. They do get larger, but I've never seen one in captivity over 8".

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back