Helianthus Carpet Anemone?

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There doesn't seem to be too much info on the forum about them, but I came across one today and was very tempted. It has only been there for a week, but he said it already went from brown to a slightly drab green with tips that were almost pink/purple. It was also under cheapo LED lights, so I'm sure in my tank it would be more vivid. I've never seen a Merten's before, so the novelty is tempting. And what would you all think this one should be worth (it's maybe 8" across)?

IMG_5820.JPG
IMG_5821.JPG

What gave me hesitation was that the guy in the store said that the previous owner brought it in not only because it was eating some of his fish (no surprise), but had also taken at least one clown and a lot of his CUC and that the anemone was absurdly sticky. My harem is still quite young, should I be worried about them if I decide to pick this guy up?

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would make sure you have a positive ID on this. You can do so by looking at the foot for reddish/purple verrucae going all the way from the foot up the column. Below is a magnifica on top and mertensi below with porcelain crab on it. The foot and column display the reddish/purple verrucae.
B5F22C28-585B-4ED0-8A02-B964C8F7956D.jpeg
They are not nearly as sticky as haddoni in my experience. They can get very large, up to 4’ diameter in the wild. They like to attach their foot to a hard substrate like your rock work. Mine loves flow and light. Seems to be a very hardy nem. Pairing it with a porcelain crab makes for a very cool display.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure you have a positive ID on this. You can do so by looking at the foot for reddish/purple verrucae going all the way from the foot up the column.

I'm not sure that I did see those to be honest. What else could what I posted have been? Or maybe they just weren't so prevalent. I'll have to go back next weekend and look more closely.

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s hard to say without looking at the foot for id. I doubt it’s a gig maybe S. helianthus or Caribbean anemone.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look much more like Stichodactyla helianthus, will take a pass on it. Thanks all. Can a mod change the thread title to Anemone ID? or something.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at photos of helianthus, I'm not sure how you all are sure. Can you give more details? Incidentally, this led me to an interesting article about the helianthus's ability to possibly cure MS.

The life saving sea anemone

Research into the venom of the Sun anemone (Stichodactyla helianthus) has brought about the discovery of a unique peptide named ShK.

https://venomstodrugs.wordpress.com/future-venom-drugs/ read more here, scroll down to get to it.

illcssd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta get a look at the foot. If it is a mertens, i had one for 5 years before selling it. Easy to take care of, took up my entire 29g tank in the end. Never ate my fish. It was a similar color to the anemone you posted, not as vibrant though. I'd guess atlantic carpet for this one, as stated above, but if it is a mertens, and that color, it's well worth buying if you have a decent size tank. They're pretty rare to come into the hobby, though not rare in the ocean. Just usually a drab brown so they get passed over by collectors.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minh how can you tell? Can you describe what you're looking and saying it looks more like a sun? I'd like to learn more

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted and deleted it all because OP decided that it is a S. helianthus and did not buy it.

From the picture, it is clearly a S. helianthus because of the shape. Proportionally, of the 4 types of large carpets that we see, Helianthus have the smallest ration of the diameter of the oral plate to foot. Because of this reason, the oral plates rarely fold so Helianthus have a "pillow like" appearance, not folded like the other large carpets . Next is Haddoni, then Gigantea. Mertensii have the largest ratio. Compare to size of the oral plate, Mertensii have tiny foot.

Then the verrucae clearly will give it away. The spots are brown or tan, not colorful like Metentsii or Gigantea. Helianthus verrucae are also in vertical lines; many are elongated vertically not sort of random and round like Mertensii. Once you see all three types of verrucae, there is no mistake about it. Of course Haddoni does not have any.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much Minh! Any chance you have pictures of the different feet and oral disks?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, one indicator of S. helianthus is the even distribution of tentacles on the oral disc. The others either have rows (such as S. Gigantea) or groupings of tentacles. Then I look for other characteristics that Orion mentioned.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your educational posts. I really appreciate you sharing this information with us. :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back