Help sexing Lamarck's Angel

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done my research and everything I have seen says females have the distinctive broad curving black stripe which continues into the caudal fin. And, they have white pectorals while males have black. And males are supposed to have a distinctive yellow spot on the forehead. Well, as you can see from the pic mine has the broadstripe, white pectorals and a small yellow spot developing. Is it possible it is undergoing a female to male sex change and therefore showing patterns from each?

New angel pic.jpg

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pic, but looks like a female. Larger females also have the yellow spot. The males will have a blue spot at the base of their pectoral fin, black pelvic fins, and the caudal lobes are white. Males will also develop caudal streamers as they grow larger.

OP
OP
Nemoose

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww ok didn't know about the females also having the yellow spot. Makes more sense now cause I was pretty sure it was a female also. Thank You

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back