Identification - Is This a Fungia Plate Coral?

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this coral for well over 10 years and have forgotten what it is. I think it's a fungia plate coral - I'm not certain, but it meets some of the descriptions. It's dome- or mound-shaped, about the size of a large fist, swells itself up from time to time, and is not attached to the rock it's sitting on. The colors in the photo are fairly accurate - green flesh with tannish/pinkish polyps.

Despite the outbreak of bubble algae around it, it's been very happy sitting in this spot for the last 10 years, although I moved a powerhead several weeks ago and I'm afraid it may be getting too much current when that powerhead kicks in.

20230302_161409.jpg

20230302_165640.jpg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1st pic looks like a plate but then the 2nd pic kind of looks like a favia hahah

I vote plate from the 1st pic.

Beautiful coral!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree on colonial and a very nice one

OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say lithophyllon.
We have a winner! Thanks for the response - once I narrowed my search to lithophyllon, I found several dealers selling corals that looked very similar to mine that are listed as lithophyllon. There were various names like Blue-eyed Lithophyllon, in the first photo below, but most just listed as Lithophyllon Coral Frag as in the second photo below.

1677814910287.png
1677815196602.png

OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning this way as well. Still a plate coral but just a less common one with multiple mouths. I used to have a blue and purple one but it sadly was in poor health
Could you or @encrustingacro explain what a "colonial fungiid" is? I couldn't find much information online about this, but from what I found it appears that each fungiid is a solitary coral, but "colonial" means that multiples of them live together. Is that correct?

Also, thanks for confirming the "multiple mouths". Most of the information I've seen indicates that fungiid corals generally have a single mouth, but this one appears to have very many, which made the ID difficult for me.

OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on colonial and a very nice one
Thanks. This guy is, like I said, over 10 years old and he is very hardy. My 90-gallon tank has had its ups and downs and I lost most of my corals a number of years ago. Only my zoas, green star polyps, and this one survived, and he thrived through a long period where I had very little time to devote to regular maintenance. I now have the time to devote to getting the tank back in shape, and he seems even happier now that I'm back to regular water changes and keeping all the parameters stable.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks. This guy is, like I said, over 10 years old and he is very hardy. My 90-gallon tank has had its ups and downs and I lost most of my corals a number of years ago. Only my zoas, green star polyps, and this one survived, and he thrived through a long period where I had very little time to devote to regular maintenance. I now have the time to devote to getting the tank back in shape, and he seems even happier now that I'm back to regular water changes and keeping all the parameters stable.
Ive seen these guys go dead and come back after months- They are very forgiving

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you or @encrustingacro explain what a "colonial fungiid" is? I couldn't find much information online about this, but from what I found it appears that each fungiid is a solitary coral, but "colonial" means that multiples of them live together. Is that correct?

Also, thanks for confirming the "multiple mouths". Most of the information I've seen indicates that fungiid corals generally have a single mouth, but this one appears to have very many, which made the ID difficult for me.
Colonial means the coral has multiple polyps. Fungiid refers to the family Fungiidae.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging by the corallum shape and tentacle length, I would not say this coral is a Lithophyllon. Colonial Lithophyllon form encrusting laminae, while this coral is a dome.

My lithophyllon is dome like. Perhaps it was a mis ID, but not sure. Could also be the round frag plug it's mounted on. CC Stalker Litho. Grows super slow.

The pics of colonial fungii I can find seem to have straight, uniform striations coming from the mouth, while the litho striations are more random looking...at least to my novice eye. I defer to your extensive knowledge though!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lithophyllon is technically in the Fungiidae family, so the ID may not be that far off, especially as I dig down into it with the individual striations coming off each mouth.

Per tidal gardens -

The term “plate corals” refers to a collection of several different corals from the family Fungiidae. In the hobby the most commonly seen varieties are Fungia, Heliofungia, Diaseris, Cycloseris, and Lithophyllon. In all there are around 13 different genera that make up the family Fungiidae.

These corals are flat solitary corals. They sometimes with a single mouth while others have multiple mouths. Most of them take on a circular shape however some varieties take on more irregular shapes such as tongue corals that have an elongated form.”

The plate I had was very similar to this one from @uniquecorals

1677848785037.jpeg

Notice how the striations radiate from a central point where yours tend to radiate from each mouth

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lithophyllon is dome like. Perhaps it was a mis ID, but not sure. Could also be the round frag plug it's mounted on. CC Stalker Litho. Grows super slow.

The pics of colonial fungii I can find seem to have straight, uniform striations coming from the mouth, while the litho striations are more random looking...at least to my novice eye. I defer to your extensive knowledge though!
Colonial fungiids includes Lithophyllon. Also, is your lithophyllon free-living or is it encrusted onto something? If it is free-living, then it is probably not a Lithophyllon.

So lithophyllon is technically in the Fungiidae family, so the ID may not be that far off, especially as I dig down into it with the individual striations coming off each mouth.

Per tidal gardens -

The term “plate corals” refers to a collection of several different corals from the family Fungiidae. In the hobby the most commonly seen varieties are Fungia, Heliofungia, Diaseris, Cycloseris, and Lithophyllon. In all there are around 13 different genera that make up the family Fungiidae.

These corals are flat solitary corals. They sometimes with a single mouth while others have multiple mouths. Most of them take on a circular shape however some varieties take on more irregular shapes such as tongue corals that have an elongated form.”

The plate I had was very similar to this one from @uniquecorals

1677848785037.jpeg

Notice how the striations radiate from a central point where yours tend to radiate from each mouth
That coral doesn’t look like a Lithophyllon, as it is free-living. Colonial Lithophyllons form encrusting laminae. I would guess that coral is something like Halomitra,

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colonial fungiids includes Lithophyllon. Also, is your lithophyllon free-living or is it encrusted onto something? If it is free-living, then it is probably not a Lithophyllon.
Encrusted, but the growth rim kind of flaps out as opposed to a leptastrea, for instance.
20230303_113625.jpg

Here is what the skeleton looks like:
20230303_112905.jpg

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusted, but the growth rim kind of flaps out as opposed to a leptastrea, for instance.
20230303_113625.jpg

Here is what the skeleton looks like:
20230303_112905.jpg
That looks more like a colonial Cycloseris (C. mokai, C. explanulata, C. wellsi) than a Lithophyllon.

OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That coral doesn’t look like a Lithophyllon, as it is free-living. Colonial Lithophyllons form encrusting laminae. I would guess that coral is something like Halomitra,
@encrustingacro - I'm not sure who your question was directed at, as it seems that my coral is no longer the only one being discussed. However, your question is still relevant to mine.

Mine is free living, not encrusted. Here is a photo of his underside. He wasn't happy being disturbed, though - he retracted his tentacles, slimed me, and puffed up as you can see in the second photo. But I need to move him again anyway to clean off that bubble algae around him.

20230303_180415.jpg
20230303_180625.jpg

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@encrustingacro - I'm not sure who your question was directed at, as it seems that my coral is no longer the only one being discussed. However, your question is still relevant to mine.

Mine is free living, not encrusted. Here is a photo of his underside. He wasn't happy being disturbed, though - he retracted his tentacles, slimed me, and puffed up as you can see in the second photo. But I need to move him again anyway to clean off that bubble algae around him.

20230303_180415.jpg
20230303_180625.jpg
If your coral is free-living, than it is probably not a Lithophyllon. I would guess that your coral is a Halomitra

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back