Invert Spotlight: Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4232857313_baefd6e395.jpg

Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Max. Size: 2"
Color Form: Red, White
Diet: Carnivore
Supplements: Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine, Trace Elements
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Indonesia, Sri Lanka
Family: Hippolytidae

CleanerShrimp.jpg

The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp acts like the medic of any saltwater aquarium. In fact, this active cleaner will set up shop on live rock or coral outcroppings and wait for fish to come and be cleaned of ectoparasites or dead tissue. Many fish value its services so highly that they even allow the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp to clean inside of their mouths without harming the shrimp. No matter how your fish use the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp's services, it is easy to see why this peaceful creature is so popular amongst home aquarists.

The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is also known as the Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimp because of the distinct pair of bright red stripes that outline the single white stripe running down its back. The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is often found in groups amongst live rock or coral. In the home aquarium, the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp requires similar habitats and peaceful tankmates. Some fish, such as Hawkfish and Lionfish or predatory shrimp or crabs may see this member of the Hippolytidae family as food.

Like other invertebrates, the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is intolerant of copper-based medications, high nitrate levels, and fluctuating water parameters. It also requires the drip-acclimation process when first introduced to your system. Also, proper iodine supplementation is necessary to promote molting and growth. To supplement their diet, feed Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp freeze dried, frozen, and flake foods.

The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp or is also called the Indo-Pacific White-Banded Cleaner Shrimp, Indo-Pacific White-Striped Cleaner Shrimp, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp or the Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp. Info via LiveAquaria

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please share your Scarlet Shrimp Photos with us!

Cl0ne1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say they are found in groups? How many do you suppose I could have in a 55 gallon? The only other larger shrimp I have is a blood fire shrimp. I love my inverts and would trade fish for more inverts everyday of the week.

Tank you for your time,

Kevin

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have several really I don't think they fight. My lfs has like 5+ In a jbj 12 nano

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone keep a lot of cleaner shrimps in their tanks for a very long period of time? When I've tried, I seem to alwasy end up with just one or two at the end.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the little guys!! "Oui, he is clean!"

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back