• 64703731307__BC44A319-F7CC-4BAE-BBF2-AB0063B43106.MOV
    1.7 MB

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I hatched him from an egg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
I don't see the bright white spots that a coral catshark would have. I think this is a whitespotted bamboo shark, Chiloscyllium plagiosum. They get pretty large - a bit over 3'.

If you can get a full body shot, taken under white light, I might be able to confirm that for you.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its a bamboo shark. The bamboo shark (also sometimes called a cat shark) is a beautiful animal that is a common pet for aquarium hobbyists due to its comparatively small size of about 40 inches. They are relatively easy to keep, once an aquarium has been prepared for them. Bamboo sharks are bottom dwellers and will rarely come up to the top of the tank. Therefore, if you are trying to choose between differently shaped tanks of similar size, choose the one with the largest bottom surface area. This will give your shark plenty of room to swim around. Round or hexagonal tanks are best, as the corners of a rectangular tank will restrict the shark's swimming motion.
Sharks are carnivorous creatures that eat a lot and produce a lot of waste. It is important to have an effective filtration system to keep the water clean. Both an aquarium carbon filter and a protein skimmer are recommended. Like any aquatic animal, it's also important to keep the water temperature comfortable for your shark. A temperature of 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal for bamboo sharks.
Your new bamboo shark will eat foods such as uncooked shrimp, scallops, mussels, and pieces of fresh marine fish, squid or octopus. Cut any large food into bite-sized pieces. Do not feed your shark common feeder fish such as goldfish or guppies which can have disease. These freshwater fish are not a natural food for bamboo sharks. If you wish to feed your shark live food, use silversides or sand eels. Bamboo sharks only need to be fed every two or three days. Give the shark a large portion of food a few times a week. If it loses weight, increase feeding. A juvenile shark should grow, but if an adult shark shows signs of weight gain, reduce the amount of food. When you first feed your shark, it may be hesitant to eat. Providing live food such as saltwater feeder shrimp and fresh cockle (in the shell) may help entice it to eat. If it takes a few days to start eating, don't be alarmed. These sharks can survive a few weeks without eating.
Last thing to know. . . A clean aquarium is important to keep your shark healthy. Clean/replace the filters often, and change the water when necessary. Your protein skimmer will need to be emptied approximately every other day. Follow package instructions for replacement of carbon filters. When water becomes overly soiled (i.e. cloudy), you will need to change it. This will require large containers full of RODI filtered and salted water, and pumps to remove the old water while adding the new.
The shark should not appear to be "panting" or be overly lethargic. Its eyes and skin should not have any discolorations or white spots. Sharks are prone to bacterial and parasitic infections. This can cause discoloration of the skin, frequent "yawning," and chaffing on the bottom of the tank. Be watchful for any of these behaviors when raising your shark.

OP
OP
G

giovanny714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a bamboo shark. The bamboo shark (also sometimes called a cat shark) is a beautiful animal that is a common pet for aquarium hobbyists due to its comparatively small size of about 40 inches. They are relatively easy to keep, once an aquarium has been prepared for them. Bamboo sharks are bottom dwellers and will rarely come up to the top of the tank. Therefore, if you are trying to choose between differently shaped tanks of similar size, choose the one with the largest bottom surface area. This will give your shark plenty of room to swim around. Round or hexagonal tanks are best, as the corners of a rectangular tank will restrict the shark's swimming motion.
Sharks are carnivorous creatures that eat a lot and produce a lot of waste. It is important to have an effective filtration system to keep the water clean. Both an aquarium carbon filter and a protein skimmer are recommended. Like any aquatic animal, it's also important to keep the water temperature comfortable for your shark. A temperature of 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal for bamboo sharks.
Your new bamboo shark will eat foods such as uncooked shrimp, scallops, mussels, and pieces of fresh marine fish, squid or octopus. Cut any large food into bite-sized pieces. Do not feed your shark common feeder fish such as goldfish or guppies which can have disease. These freshwater fish are not a natural food for bamboo sharks. If you wish to feed your shark live food, use silversides or sand eels. Bamboo sharks only need to be fed every two or three days. Give the shark a large portion of food a few times a week. If it loses weight, increase feeding. A juvenile shark should grow, but if an adult shark shows signs of weight gain, reduce the amount of food. When you first feed your shark, it may be hesitant to eat. Providing live food such as saltwater feeder shrimp and fresh cockle (in the shell) may help entice it to eat. If it takes a few days to start eating, don't be alarmed. These sharks can survive a few weeks without eating.
Last thing to know. . . A clean aquarium is important to keep your shark healthy. Clean/replace the filters often, and change the water when necessary. Your protein skimmer will need to be emptied approximately every other day. Follow package instructions for replacement of carbon filters. When water becomes overly soiled (i.e. cloudy), you will need to change it. This will require large containers full of RODI filtered and salted water, and pumps to remove the old water while adding the new.
The shark should not appear to be "panting" or be overly lethargic. Its eyes and skin should not have any discolorations or white spots. Sharks are prone to bacterial and parasitic infections. This can cause discoloration of the skin, frequent "yawning," and chaffing on the bottom of the tank. Be watchful for any of these behaviors when raising your shark.
Thank you so much for all the information I literally appreciate it more than anything I was having trouble feeding him didn’t know what to feed him I was giving him mysis shrimp and I wasn’t sure if he was eating it or not which was worrisome but thank you!

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bamboo shark is a given - I thought you was after the specific species of bamboo shark, there are quite a few.

Id say Jay is correct in that case and if you are actually after specific species I would upload that body shot under white lights for Jay to confirm.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a whitespotted bamboo shark, Chiloscyllium plagiosum.
Its a bamboo shark.
I disagree. I know I am very late, but I actually believe OP's shark is the saddled variant of the Coral catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus). Note the severe lack of spots and intense, white-bordered banding on OP's shark that suggest it is not a juvenile Whitespotted bamboo shark (though these are characteristic of the juvenile saddled variant of the Coral catshark).

Juvenile Coral cat shark (saddled):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Atelomycterus_marmoratus_1.jpg

Juvenile Whitespotted bamboo shark:
https://www.marinethemes.com/wp-con...tsharks_epaulette_bamboo_etc/S05D05_51058.jpg

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for more pictures in white lights :)
(I'm utterly unhelpful in identifying which species this is, but I'd love to see more adorable pictures of its development.) How long have you been reefing? I'd love a tank large enough for sharks someday :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. I know I am very late, but I actually believe OP's shark is the saddled variant of the Coral catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus). Note the severe lack of spots and intense, white-bordered banding on OP's shark that suggest it is not a juvenile Whitespotted bamboo shark (though these are characteristic of the juvenile saddled variant of the Coral catshark).

Juvenile Coral cat shark (saddled):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Atelomycterus_marmoratus_1.jpg

Juvenile Whitespotted bamboo shark:
https://www.marinethemes.com/wp-con...tsharks_epaulette_bamboo_etc/S05D05_51058.jpg
I see what you mean. I've never seen a "saddled" Atelomycterus, all of ours have bright white spots when hatched, I didn't know other species were in the trade. Could be Atelomycterus baliensis. The OP didn't get more pics under white light, but looking back, two things I missed the first time is the white tip on the dorsal, and then, the squiggly way the fish is laying - bamboos tend to lay straighter.

Thanks,

Jay

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 143 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back