reefrubble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reef enthusiasts,

I took these three photos of this juvenile Bristletooth Tang in a tank in the back of my LFS. Neither myself, nor the LFS are quite confident as to what type of Bristletooth Tang this juvenile is. I have searched all over online and have found numerous similar looking juveniles but nothing definitive enough to feel confident making a positive ID. I would greatly appreciate any input on what type of tang this is. Answers based off of personal experience and with images are ideal. I have my own thoughts as to what it might be but to prevent this from being a leading question, I will refrain from including it in this initial post.

Best,

reefrubble

tempImagebb5geU.png tempImageEIxVX7.png tempImagepWntv6.png

OP
OP
reefrubble

reefrubble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one more picture that does a better job than the previous three at showing the blue edges of the dorsal fin.

Attachments

• tempImageKI083X.png
    tempImageKI083X.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 54

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to get one at some point but it might not like my Two Spot Bristletooth Tang or vice versa
My dream bristletooth is a C. flavicauda and I’m in the same issue as you (Also room is a nightmare). I’d say wait till you get enough room for both and introduce them at the same time or rearrange the rock and let them bicker for hiding spots.

OP
OP
reefrubble

reefrubble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't and had no real reason to resist deciding to purchase the fish out of pure curiosity to find out what it is as it grows! I have more than enough space and no compatibility concerns (no tangs in the tank). The LFS practically gave it to me ($25.00) since they could not determine the ID. I will post a picture of the fish once every week until a conclusive positive ID can be determined so make sure to keep an eye on this thread.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't and had no real reason to resist deciding to purchase the fish out of pure curiosity to find out what it is as it grows! I have more than enough space and no compatibility concerns (no tangs in the tank). The LFS practically gave it to me ($25.00) since they could not determine the ID. I will post a picture of the fish once every week until a conclusive positive ID can be determined so make sure to keep an eye on this thread.
Looking forward to it!
I definitely think you got more than a steal on a Flavicauda (Also the blue lining on the dorsal fin really helps give it away), usually they’re 200 if I remember correctly - Over here they’re around £220

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My dream bristletooth is a C. flavicauda and I’m in the same issue as you (Also room is a nightmare). I’d say wait till you get enough room for both and introduce them at the same time or rearrange the rock and let them bicker for hiding spots.
6*3 250g peninsula so I have some room. My two Spot is a big baby so far. Always hiding and zero aggression towards anyone but white tail may be too similar

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6*3 250g peninsula so I have some room. My two Spot is a big baby so far. Always hiding and zero aggression towards anyone but white tail may be too similar
I personally think you could do it if you used a large enough acclimation box - I only have a 4’x2’ so I personally don’t want to risk it however in a 6’x3’ you should be alright.

OP
OP
reefrubble

reefrubble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I am not too sure if this helps with determining the ID but I have to say that his fish has a huge personality. Anytime I am close to the tank, the fish comes up to the glass and gets much more active. I thought this might just be the fish expecting to be fed but when I feed it, it doesn't even go for the food right away and instead just keeps interacting with me by the glass. Only after I move away does the fish actually start paying attention to the food and eating.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My white tail will follow me around the tank now, but he mostly hid the first year I had him. Each fish has its own personality - and other tank mates influence it. My foxface is extremely shy and when he dashes everyone dashes. If not for him I think everyone in tank would be more relaxed.

OP
OP
reefrubble

reefrubble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes! This past week the tang's overall appearance and behavior started to become less and less healthy. There were a few darkish patchy areas on its body (disease not color change) that I was having a really hard time identifying the cause of. Eventually I decided to do a freshwater dip and 8-9 flukes came off. Since the freshwater dip and starting prazipro in the QT tank, the tang is looking much better! I will post pictures in a couple hours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back