Lamarck Angelfish Care?

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has had 2 Lamarck Angels at their store for over 2 years. They are beautiful, have amazing personalities, and I'm hoping they're still there when my tank is up and running. That said, I had a few questions for those that have kept them:

1. LiveAquaria says they are reef safe: Is this true?
  2. Are they aggressive? (Can they be housed with tangs?)
  3. Any special care requirements?
If you have any stories/advice worth sharing, that would also be great!

(One of the two fish in question)

20171125_144542.jpg

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they're reef safe. Unlike most other angels, Genicanthus angels are planktivores and are evolved to eat food out of the water column, rather than off the bottom, so they aren't evolved to eat sponge or coral.

You really shouldn't have any issues with aggression in them, unless you are mixing angels. I'd be careful with tang selection though, as something like a sohal tang would give a lamark angel a very hard time.

Otherwise, they're very showy fish that are generally good additions to a tank the size mentioned in your sig (210 gal)...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they're reef safe. Unlike most other angels, Genicanthus angels are planktivores and are evolved to eat food out of the water column, rather than off the bottom, so they aren't evolved to eat sponge or coral.

You really shouldn't have any issues with aggression in them, unless you are mixing angels. I'd be careful with tang selection though, as something like a sohal tang would give a lamark angel a very hard time.

Otherwise, they're very showy fish that are generally good additions to a tank the size mentioned in your sig (210 gal)...
100% agree.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I had, plus I've read similar experience with others, nipped at Acans and a fungia. Didn't bother anything else I had and yes I would watch it actually nip at these corals to the point where I sold them cause they stopped opening and started to fade.

No issues with aggression with the couple tangs I had or the Flame Angel, plus any of my other fish. Really nice fish, just might have to decide if you like a certain coral or the angel better. Not a reef terror, but may not be 100% safe. Good luck

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent advice above. The only thing I would add is that they can sometimes be a bit pushy towards other planktavores but most planktavores display this behaviour.
They appreciate strong currents as you'd expect from their natural lifestyle.
from the picture that is a nice male with a female to his side.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@falconut @mort

A question for either of you. As these angels have been at my LFS for over 2 years~ on their own system, would you think it's necessary to QT?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@falconut @mort

A question for either of you. As these angels have been at my LFS for over 2 years~ on their own system, would you think it's necessary to QT?

It depends really as often shops move fish in and out of systems, so you might not know what they have been in with. The likelihood is that they will be fine but it depends on whether things have been added to the tank over time or not. Some people run their qt as an observation tank and only treat if they see something wrong whereas others prophylactically treat everything to be on the safe side.
If you didn't want to full qt you could look at the tank transfer method and worm them at the same time, which means you don't have to worry about ich, flukes or internal worms.

I would however confuse you further and say if you qt make sure the tank is appropriate as it's not hard to find stories of how people have killed their fish by not doing things properly when in all likelihood they would have been fine in their display.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@falconut @mort

I was recently burned by this, added fish that a LFS QTd & shortly after adding my whole tank was infected & yes they even used copper for a month. They must not have done it correctly. So, from now on, I won't trust anybody but myself to QT. Just food for thought.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@falconut @mort

I should have mentioned, but this is for a new build -- they would be the first fish in the build. Would that impact your opinion on that question?

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just observed new additions in QT for a month prior to adding in the past. No signs of issues, in they went. So, you could do this and observe, but be ready to pull & treat if needed.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@falconut @mort

I should have mentioned, but this is for a new build -- they would be the first fish in the build. Would that impact your opinion on that question?

Again it depends. Like falconut says you could observe them and be ready to pull them and treat but you have to way up the slim chance of needing to catch them, qt, treat and leave the tank fallow against how much you trust they are clean. I'm sorry that's a bit of a cop out but with fish health it's really down to what you personally want to do. I might advise qt when I personally would just put them straight in the display but I'd have to deal with the consequences based on that decision.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back