Lined Tamarin Wrasse or Yellow Coris Wrasse?

Lined Tamarin Wrasse or Yellow Coris Wrasse

• Line Tamarin Wrasse

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Yellow Coris Wrasse

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add another wrasse to my 130G tank and currently have the following fish: 2 clowns, royal gramma, 3 lyertail anthias, leopard wrasse, and a swallowtail angelfish. I went to my local fish store and they had both these fish actively swimming and eating. Which of the two do you recommend?

Thanks!

1686875967967.jpeg

1686876033173.jpeg

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the yellow coris wrasse since it is known to be a very good wrasse for pest control. It is also fully yellow which is a nice pop of color. You do also already have the leopard which depending on which one you have it may already look similar to the tamarin which makes the yellow coris something different to add to the tank based on looks.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add another wrasse to my 130G tank and currently have the following fish: 2 clowns, royal gramma, 3 lyertail anthias, leopard wrasse, and a swallowtail angelfish. I went to my local fish store and they had both these fish actively swimming and eating. Which of the two do you recommend?

Thanks!

1686875967967.jpeg

1686876033173.jpeg
Tamarin wrasse are far more difficult but also a guaranteed peaceful fish. If it is eating and swallowing then you may have gotten lucky and have a healthy one. The Chrysus is a much hardier fish and doesn't get as big but may become a little aggressive. Both are great fish but a healthy tamarin is rare thus my vote.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tamarin wrasse are far more difficult but also a guaranteed peaceful fish. If it is eating and swallowing then you may have gotten lucky and have a healthy one. The Chrysus is a much hardier fish and doesn't get as big but may become a little aggressive. Both are great fish but a healthy tamarin is rare thus my vote.
Good point on the tamarin. The LFS owner said he’s had the fish for about three weeks now but no one has seemed interested. Maybe it was the price? The tamarin is $100 and yellow coris is $50 and he’s having a 20% sale this Father’s Day weekend. To be honest, I’ve been in the hobby for about ten years and had never seen a tamarin before. Pretty neat fish but I can see it being pricey.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

1686875967967.jpeg

1686876033173.jpeg
You have the room for plenty of wrasse but don’t fill it.
I vote go for both. Why just pick one if you have the room? I had the dilemma of going for Vivienne’s or Choati’s Leopards and I have the room for both so why not go for both.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hard time making out the video, what do you feed the black tail? My current leopard wrasse eats anything and everything; is the black tail similar?
They’re similar when they’re settled but settling them into captivity is a nightmare - sounds like your LFS has done that part for you luckily!

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re similar when they’re settled but settling them into captivity is a nightmare - sounds like your LFS has done that part for you luckily!
are feminus wrasse harder to look after than the black tail and if so on a scale of 1 to 10 how much more difficult

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are feminus wrasse harder to look after than the black tail and if so on a scale of 1 to 10 how much more difficult
Put it this way, I’ve seen so many black tailed tamarins adapted to captivity yet with femininus I’ve had most fail to adapt and even the adapted ones are known to just die when they’re moved tank.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to pick the fish up tomorrow. Although before purchasing the fish, I’m going to ask the LFS if I can see the tamirian eat first. The fish has been at the store for a few weeks, so I assume it’s eating more than just pods?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back